2 Questions on Ohm's Law and Power

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of identical lamps in an electric circuit and the resulting changes in resistance and voltage. The question of how the lamps are added (in series, parallel, or mixed) is raised, as well as the concept of equivalent resistance in series coupled resistors. The conversation also touches on the topic of dissipating energy and the representation of 6 watts in the context of voltage.
Lovely
If a single lamp has resistance of 3 ohms, and a second and third identical lamp is added wouldn't the second be 6, and third be 9.
If a part of an electric circuit diaaipates energy at 6 when it draws a current of 3A, what voltage is impressed across it? What does 6 represent

Physics news on Phys.org
How are the 2 lamps "added",in series,in parallel,mixed...?

As for the second,i think they mean 6W,thoough I'm not sure.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
How are the 2 lamps "added",in series,in parallel,mixed...?

As for the second,i think they mean 6W,thoough I'm not sure.

Daniel.
Daniel,
The question is as followed: In a simple circuit 6-volt dry cell pushes charge through a single lamp whiich has a resistance of 3 ohms. the current through the circiut is 2 amps.
If a second identical lamp is connected in series, the 6 volt battery must push a charge through a total resistance of how many ohms. Same for third identical lamp

Well,what do you think...?What do you know about series coupled resistors...?What's the equivalent resistance...?

Daniel.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. How is Ohm's Law represented mathematically?

Ohm's Law can be represented mathematically as V = IR, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables, depending on what information is known.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is the volt (V). This unit is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery and discovered the concept of electric potential difference.

4. How does Ohm's Law relate to power?

Ohm's Law can be used to calculate power in an electrical circuit. The formula for power is P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables.

5. What is the practical application of Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law has numerous practical applications in the field of electrical engineering. It is used to design and analyze circuits, determine the appropriate components for a circuit, and troubleshoot electrical problems. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, and power generation.