5 SHM Problems i can't get HELP

• Thread starter gf_24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary: ThanksIn summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with five problems related to simple harmonic motion (SHM). They have been unsuccessful in solving the problems and have provided their attempted solutions for two of the problems. They are seeking assistance and have decided to focus on two questions in this thread.
gf_24
5 SHM Problems i can't get :( HELP!

http://imageshack.us/a/img201/3924/sadv.png

Okay so these are the last 5 problems that I'm stuck on... I've tried a lot and no success, if anyone can please show me the work on how to get them... I've tried all 4 and will explain what I did

1) I found the mass easily but do not know where to go from here...

2) This is my work and it was wrong
0.8kg (m) x 9.8m/s^2 (g) = F
7.84N = F
-----------------------------
F = kx
7.84N = 20N/m × x
7.84/20 = x
0.392 = x

3) I found A-max using A-max = w^2
Plugged that into the equation Acceleration = - Aw^2 sin (wt + ∅) to find t.
Then plugged t into X = Asin(wt+∅) to find it's position... both of which were incorrect

4) I found the positions successfully.. tried to plug those values into the given equation to
find time and no luck...

5) I'm not yet 100% with pendolums so i'll do a little more studying on this one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any help on these would be greatly appreciated thank you all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

gf_24 said:
[/PLAIN]http://imageshack.us/a/img201/3924/sadv.png[/PLAIN]

Okay so these are the last 5 problems that I'm stuck on... I've tried a lot and no success, if anyone can please show me the work on how to get them... I've tried all 4 and will explain what I did

1) I found the mass easily but do not know where to go from here...

2) This is my work and it was wrong
0.8kg (m) x 9.8m/s^2 (g) = F
7.84N = F
-----------------------------
F = kx
7.84N = 20N/m × x
7.84/20 = x
0.392 = x

3) I found A-max using A-max = w^2
Plugged that into the equation Acceleration = - Aw^2 sin (wt + ∅) to find t.
Then plugged t into X = Asin(wt+∅) to find it's position... both of which were incorrect

4) I found the positions successfully.. tried to plug those values into the given equation to
find time and no luck...

5) I'm not yet 100% with pendolums so i'll do a little more studying on this one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any help on these would be greatly appreciated thank you all :)
Hello gf_24. Welcome to PF !

Please include at most, two questions/problems per post. (See the rules for this Forum.)

Let's do questions (1) and (2) in this thread. Please create another thread for the other questions.

What is SHM and why is it important?

SHM stands for simple harmonic motion and it refers to the repetitive motion of an object around a fixed point. It is important because it helps us understand and analyze various real-life phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum, a mass-spring system, and even sound waves.

What are the 5 most common SHM problems that students struggle with?

The 5 most common SHM problems that students struggle with are: finding the period of oscillation, determining the amplitude and maximum displacement, calculating the velocity and acceleration, applying the appropriate equations for different scenarios, and understanding the concept of phase difference.

How can I improve my understanding of SHM problems?

To improve your understanding of SHM problems, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the equations and concepts used in SHM. You can also seek help from your teacher or tutor, watch online tutorials, and work through examples step by step.

What are some common mistakes students make when solving SHM problems?

Some common mistakes students make when solving SHM problems are: using incorrect equations, not considering the units of measurement, forgetting to convert between radians and degrees, forgetting to account for the direction of motion, and not considering the effects of damping or friction.

What resources are available for students struggling with SHM problems?

There are various resources available for students struggling with SHM problems such as online tutorials, practice problems with solutions, textbooks, study guides, and interactive simulations. You can also seek help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor.