A force acting on a particle moving in the xy plane is given by

In summary, the blue path has the least work required to move the particle to the right. The other paths have more work required.
AryRezvani

Homework Statement

2yoe5gx.jpg

Homework Equations

W=∫ Fx dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you got to split this one in terms of axis.

∫(2yi + x2j) dx

Pretty lost on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, they do not say in which direction the vectors i and j point, so let us assume that vector i is parallel to the x-axis and vector j is parallel to the y-axis, which is the usual convention.

To start you off,
Path OAC:
From O to A, can you find the force on the particle along this path knowing that y = 0. In what direction does the force point from the equation given for force.? Does the force do any work along this path? Note that the particle is moving along the x-axis which is what vector direction, i or j. Can you find an equation for the path of the particle in terms of vectors i oj or both?

from A to C, same questions.

You might want to review dot and cross product as that that is what this problem seems to be designed for.

PS. Your picture shows up a bit large.

Understood, so quick question, is the blue line the force? Then the other lines simply components of the force?

Still a little lost. We want to calculate the work required to mvoe the object to the right first. Force is constant right? So would you use fΔrCosθ?

AryRezvani said:
Understood, so quick question, is the blue line the force? Then the other lines simply components of the force?

Still a little lost. We want to calculate the work required to move the object to the right first. Force is constant right? So would you use fΔrCosθ?
No, the force is not along the blue line.

No, the force is not constant.

The force depends upon the location of the particle according to [itex]\displaystyle \vec{F}=2y\hat{\text{i}}+x^2\hat{\text{j}}\ .[/itex]

You are to calculate the work done by that force in moving the particle from point, O, to point, C, along each of the colored paths.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the forces acting on the particle. From the given equation, it appears that there are two forces acting on the particle, one in the y direction (2yi) and one in the x direction (x2j). To solve for the work done by these forces, we can use the equation W=∫ Fx dx, where Fx represents the force in the x direction and dx represents the displacement in the x direction. Similarly, we can use the equation W=∫ Fy dy to solve for the work done by the force in the y direction.

To find the total work done, we would need to integrate both equations over the appropriate displacement ranges. This may require splitting the integral in terms of the x and y axes to accurately represent the forces acting on the particle. Once we have the integrals set up, we can solve for the work done by plugging in the given values for the forces and displacement.

It is important to note that the work done by a force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the particle. Therefore, solving for the work done can provide valuable information about the motion and energy of the particle.

1. What is the definition of a force acting on a particle?

A force acting on a particle can be defined as a push or pull that changes the motion or shape of an object.

2. How is a force acting on a particle measured?

A force acting on a particle can be measured in units of newtons (N) using a device called a force meter or spring scale.

3. How does a force affect the motion of a particle?

A force acting on a particle can cause it to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

4. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration, meaning that the greater the force, the greater the acceleration of the particle.

5. How does the direction of a force affect the motion of a particle in the xy plane?

The direction of a force acting on a particle in the xy plane will determine the path of the particle's motion. If the force is in the same direction as the particle's velocity, the particle will speed up. If the force is opposite to the particle's velocity, the particle will slow down. If the force is perpendicular to the particle's velocity, the particle will change direction but maintain the same speed.