What are some practical investigation ideas for A-level physics coursework?

• Thread starter k6666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    A-level
In summary, the person is seeking help for their A-level coursework practical investigation on physics. They are considering doing something on circuits and are asking for ideas and advice on investigating capacitance. The response mentions that investigating capacitance may involve solving a differential equation but can also be done experimentally by using intuition and experimental data. The approach taken would depend on the expectations for the project.
k6666
A-level cousework question
Can anyone help me on my practial investigation(I can do wat ever i want on physics for 2 weeks|+write up afterwards)? i really don't know wat to do, i am thinking of doing something on circuit as u won't make much mistake~any other bright ideas or wat should investigate on circuit?(e.g. capacitance)\

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you already know about circuitry? Investigating capacitance, if you want to do theoretical work, involves solving a differential equation. But if you're just doing experimental stuff, it's probably a neat thing to study; by just using a bit of intuition involving opposing voltages, you can decide what the equation of current vs. time should look approximately like, and then use some experimental data to choose an equation that looks right. So it definitely depends on what you're expected to do for this project.

Sure, I can provide some suggestions for your practical investigation on physics. One idea could be to investigate the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit. You could vary the voltage and measure the corresponding current to see if there is a linear relationship, and then explore the factors that may affect this relationship, such as resistance or type of circuit. Another idea could be to investigate the behavior of capacitors in a circuit, such as how they store and release charge, and how this affects the overall circuit behavior. You could also explore the effects of different types of capacitors or different arrangements of capacitors in a circuit. Ultimately, the key to a successful practical investigation is to choose a topic that interests you and allows for a clear and manageable experiment to be conducted. Good luck with your coursework!

1. What is A-level coursework and why is it important?

A-level coursework is a set of assignments or projects that students are required to complete as part of their advanced level studies. It is an important component of A-level exams as it allows students to demonstrate their understanding of the subject and their ability to apply their knowledge to real-world situations.

2. How is A-level coursework different from regular coursework?

A-level coursework is typically more challenging and in-depth compared to regular coursework. It requires students to conduct independent research, analyze data, and present their findings in a structured and coherent manner. A-level coursework also carries a higher weightage in the final exam grade.

3. Can I choose my own topic for A-level coursework?

In most cases, students are given a list of topics to choose from for their A-level coursework. However, some subjects may allow students to propose their own topic as long as it aligns with the course curriculum and can be adequately researched and evaluated.

4. How do I ensure that my A-level coursework is of high quality?

To ensure that your A-level coursework is of high quality, it is important to carefully plan and manage your time, conduct thorough research, and use reliable sources. It is also crucial to follow the guidelines and instructions provided by your teacher or examiner, and to proofread and edit your work for any errors or inconsistencies.

5. Is A-level coursework the same for all subjects?

No, A-level coursework varies depending on the subject. For example, subjects like science and mathematics may require more practical experiments and data analysis, while subjects like literature may involve critical analysis and interpretation of texts. It is important to understand the specific requirements of your subject's coursework to ensure its successful completion.