A material light, cheap and strong as wood material

In summary, the problem is that a portable massage table that is light, strong, and cheap to build is not currently available. There is a cheaper alternative to using wood or aluminum, but it is not as light or strong. Carbon fiber is a possible option, but it is not the cheapest. A lighter, cheaper alternative might already exist, but it is not clear. The goal is to become a manufacturer of these tables.
Fatima Silva
Good evening. I'de like to know if exists a material light, cheap and strong as wood material, capable of handle maximum 100 pounds. . that's for a portable massage table structure.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Fatima Silva said:
Good evening. I'de like to know if exists a material light, cheap and strong as wood material, capable of handle maximum 100 pounds. . that's for a portable massage table structure.
What's the problem w/ wood itself? You really haven't described your problem very well.

it's heavy. . and aluminium is un expensive material. I'de like to know if exists a cheaper material and lighter to build a portable massage table . it already exists in wood and aluminium. I need to know if its possible to construct in another material.

light, strong, cheap ... pick any two.

thank You so much. I don't know if its correct or not but I'm not a physician I'm an osteopath, and I'm trying to find a solution to a problem that I and other collegues deal with almost every day. Once again thank you.

I think phinds nailed the problem: you can get better with one quality, but in turn some other quality will likely be worse.
For example, a classic strong and light material is carbon fiber. But, it's not cheap.

I would think that if there is an easy solution it's the kind of thing that medical equipment manufacturers would have found it since they are always on the lookout for new things to sell.

I don't know if You understood my problem, but I'll try to explain better. nowadays, my profession here in my country demands if I have to go see a pacient at his house I nedd to bring with me a portable massage table. the tables in the market are heavy (between 15 to 23 pounds - not to much for a boy but for me it is its almost a half of my weight)
I thought that maybe the material I'm looking for already exists I don't know its not my area. I should ask who knows. .

I didn't find anything different of wood or aluminium. carbon fiber I know the material but I didn't find any portable massage table build with it. . thank You both.

You could make a frame of aluminum and use light plastic or even strong cloth to cover it. You don't need the whole "body" to have the same strength.
But probably this exists already. As someone already said it, if there were a cheaper alternative for the same performance, the professional manufacturers would have used it already.

However, it is not clear what is your goal. If you just want to build one for yourself, the price of the material should not be so important. It's just a one time expense.
You plan to become a manufacturer of these tables?

The danger will be that a whole human will rest on it, plus additional weight. It's not something you want to have collapse under you.

Fatima Silva said:
the tables in the market are heavy (between 15 to 23 pounds - not to much for a boy but for me it is its almost a half of my weight)
Thing is, what is available is the lightest, strongest and cheapest that the industry can manufacture. If there were something better, they'd have used it. Afterall, they have the same needs and goals as you do.

And you've got to consider the safety/liability aspect. You might be able to build something lighter, but I bet your insurance would balk, as would your MT registrar.

These aren't showstoppers, just challenges for someone with an entrepreneurial penchant. :wink:

A quick way to cut weight is to honeycomb the material. Same strength, less weight. But cost goes up.

Likes billy_joule and berkeman
There are surely regulations surrounding this in your profession. I'm afraid you'll have to consult those for approved equipment, we can't condone you attempting to build your own equipment designed to be used with patients. This falls under our policy on medical advice. Best of luck.

1. What is the material light, cheap, and strong as wood?

The material that is light, cheap, and strong as wood is a type of engineered wood called plywood. It is made by gluing several thin layers of wood together, with the grain of each layer running in a different direction. This makes plywood stronger and more durable than solid wood, while also being lighter and more affordable.

2. How does plywood compare to other materials in terms of weight?

Plywood is significantly lighter than other commonly used building materials, such as concrete, steel, and solid wood. This is because of its construction, which uses thin layers of wood rather than one solid piece. Plywood is also lighter than other types of engineered wood, such as particleboard and medium-density fiberboard (MDF).

3. What makes plywood a cost-effective option?

Plywood is a cost-effective option because it is relatively inexpensive to produce compared to other building materials. It is also lightweight, which reduces transportation costs, and can be easily cut and shaped, reducing labor costs. Additionally, because of its strength and durability, plywood requires less maintenance and replacement over time, making it a long-term cost-effective choice.

4. Is plywood as strong as solid wood?

Plywood is actually stronger than solid wood. This is because of its layered construction, which distributes weight and stress more evenly. The cross-grain configuration of plywood also makes it more resistant to warping and splitting, making it a more durable and reliable building material.

5. Can plywood be used for structural purposes?

Yes, plywood is commonly used for structural purposes in construction. It is a strong and lightweight material that can be used for walls, floors, and roofs. It is also commonly used in furniture and cabinetry. However, the specific type and grade of plywood used for structural purposes may vary depending on the intended load and application.