Why Does Calculating Maximum Height in Hooke's Law Give a Negative Value?

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for help with a homework assignment on Hooke's law. They discuss calculating work done and finding the maximum speed and height of a mass attached to a spring. The final question involves finding the maximum height the mass rises to when released vertically. The solution involves setting the initial and final energies equal and solving for the height.
Jon1NL8796
Hey there everyone. First post, so... yeah.

Anywho, I got a few questions on Hooke's law as a homework assignment. But the last one is giving me some trouble. I'll tell what I've done so far that leads up to the problem.

The first question asks to calculate the work done given a Graphical Analysis graph that has force on the y-axis and the elongation of a spring on the x-axis (N/m). I figured out that this would be equal to the area of under the given best fit line, so it was a simple case of using the equation K=(.5)bh, where b is th longest elongation (.084) and h is the corresponding force (5.886). So the equation looks like:

Work = K = (.5)(.084)(5.886)
= .247 J

The next question is to find the maximum speed of the spring when a 150 gram mass is attatched to the end, the spring is stretched to its maximum distance, and then released. I know this dealt with PE elastic and KE. so the equation was:

PE elastic(i) + KE(i) = PE elastic(f) + KE(f)

And since there was no KE initially or PE elastic in the final effect:

PE elastic = KE

So then:

PE elastic = (0.5)kx^2
= (0.5)(69.51)(0.084)^2
= 0.245 J
PE elastic = KE = (0.5)mV^2
0.245 = (0.5)(0.15)V^2
V^2 = 0.245 / ([0.5][0.15])
= 3.27
V = 1.81 m/s

Now here's the final question, which is giving me so much trouble. If the setup from the previous question is rigged to be released vertically at the instant that all of the PE in the spring is transferred to the mass, what will the maximum height the mass rises to be?

I thought that since it involved PEg, PE elastic, and KE, and because there would initially be no KE or PEg or PE elastic in the final result, the equation would look like:

(.5)kx^2 = (.5)mV^2 + mgh

Yet no matter how many times I try to get it to work, I always get h to equal a negative number in the ten-thousanths place. I need help with this desperately, and any assistance given would be greatly appreciated.

Peace out y'all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Initial (at bottom, call h=0):
KE = 0 (not moving)
PEg =0 (h=0)
PEelast=max (x is maximum and equal to h)

Final (at top):
KE=0 (not moving)
PEg =maximum
PEelast= 0 (you can set the "x" to an arbitrary 0, just like "h")

NOw you assume that the total energy of the system remaons constant, and is still equal to what it was before. How much energy was there?

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I see how I went wrong and fixed the problem.

The questions are supposed to take place in a frictionless enviorment, so there would be no energy loss between the initial and the final. And seeing as the new equation is PE elastic = PEg, and I had already found PE elastic to be .245 J, PEg would be equal to .245 J.

So the steps for the final question looked like this:

.245 = PEg = mgh
= (.15)(9.81)h
h = .245 / ([.15][9.81])
= 1.98 m

Thanks again Chi!

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is directly proportional to that distance.

What is the problem with Hooke's Law?

The problem with Hooke's Law is that it assumes the spring will return to its original length after being stretched or compressed, but in reality, most springs do not behave perfectly and can experience permanent deformation.

How does this problem affect the accuracy of Hooke's Law?

This problem can significantly affect the accuracy of Hooke's Law, especially when dealing with large forces or long periods of time. The more a spring is stretched or compressed, the more it deviates from the linear relationship predicted by Hooke's Law.

What are some real-life examples of this problem?

One example of this problem is the suspension of a car. Over time, the springs in the suspension can become permanently deformed, leading to a change in the car's ride height and handling. Another example is the use of springs in mechanical watches, where the springs can lose their elasticity over time and affect the accuracy of timekeeping.

Are there any solutions to this problem?

One solution is to use materials with a higher elastic limit, such as titanium, to decrease the amount of permanent deformation. Another solution is to use multiple springs in parallel, which can reduce the amount of deformation in each individual spring. Additionally, using mathematical models that take into account the non-linear behavior of springs can improve the accuracy of predictions.