A uniform rod allowed to rotate about an axis and then it breaks

In summary, the angular velocity of the upper part decreases while that of the lower part remains constant.
Kaushik
Homework Statement
A uniform rod AB of length L is free to rotate about a horizontal axis passing through A. The rod is released from rest from the horizontal position. If the rod gets broken at midpoint C when it becomes vertical, then just after breaking of the rod. Multiple answers are correct
Relevant Equations
A uniform rod AB of length ℓ is free to rotate about a horizontal axis passing through A. The rod is released from rest from the horizontal position. If the rod gets broken at midpoint C when it becomes vertical, then just after breaking of the rod. Choose multiple answeres from the below options.
  • Angular velocity of upper part starts to decrease while that of lower part remains constant
  • Angular velocity of upper part starts to decrease while that of lower part starts to increase
  • Angular velocity of both the parts is identical
  • Angular velocity of lower part becomes equal to zero
I tried using conservation of angular momentum once it breaks. I found the angular velocity of the rod when it is vertical using conservation of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaushik said:
  • Angular velocity of upper part starts to decrease while that of lower part remains constant
  • Angular velocity of upper part starts to decrease while that of lower part starts to increase
Why not start by telling us what you think about the various possibilities being offered? For instance, does the angular velocity of the upper part start to decrease after the break takes place?

You should not need to calculate anything.

Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Why not start by telling us what you think about the various possibilities being offered? For instance, does the angular velocity of the upper part start to decrease after the break takes place?

You should not need to calculate anything.
When it breaks the angular velocity of the upper part decreases is my intuition. I don't have the exact reasoning for it. Is the reasoning related to the decrease in moment of inertia?

Kaushik said:
When it breaks the angular velocity of the upper part decreases is my intuition. I don't have the exact reasoning for it.
Let us attack that particular question then. What external influences is the upper part subject to after the break? Do any of these amount to an external torque?

Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Let us attack that particular question then. What external influences is the upper part subject to after the break? Do any of these amount to an external torque?
The upper part is subjected to hinge force and weight which does not provide external torque.( when it is perfectly vertical)

Kaushik said:
The upper part is subjected to hinge force and weight which does not provide external torque.( when it is perfectly vertical)
Given that parenthetical -- "when it is still perfectly vertical", I agree with you. Zero net external torque. And the object is rigid, so the moment of inertia is unchanging. The conclusion is that the angular acceleration is zero. At least momentarily.

However, my inclination is to read the question differently. I think we agree that the upper part is still swinging and that as it continues swinging it will no longer be vertical. As it goes past vertical there will be an external torque. So one could reasonably say that "the angular velocity of the upper part starts to decrease". That is, if you were to plot the angular velocity of the upper part over time you would see a peak in the graph where angular velocity reaches a maximum at the moment of the break and starts to decrease.

If we are in agreement so far, we can proceed to a next clause. Does the angular velocity of the lower part remain constant?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes PeroK and Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Given that parenthetical -- "when it is still perfectly vertical", I agree with you. Zero net external torque. And the object is rigid, so the moment of inertial is unchanging. The conclusion is that the angular acceleration is zero. At least momentarily.

However, my inclination is to read the question differently. I think we agree that the upper part is still swinging and that as it continues swinging it will no longer be vertical. As it goes past vertical there will be an external torque. So one could reasonably say that "the angular velocity of the upper part starts to decrease". That is, if you were to plot the angular velocity of the upper part over time you would see a peak in the graph where angular velocity reaches a maximum at the moment of the break and starts to decrease.

If we are in agreement so far, we can proceed to a next clause. Does the angular velocity of the lower part remain constant?
Agreed!

The only force that acts on the lower part is weight but Angular velocity of the lower part has no external torque about the center of mass because ##r =0##.

Kaushik said:
Agreed!

The only force that acts on the lower part is weight but Angular velocity of the lower part has no external torque about the center of mass because ##r =0##.
Agreed.

So if we adopt my reading of the question, the first possibility below would be correct and the second possibility below would be incorrect.

Shall we proceed to the question of whether the angular velocity of both parts is identical?
Kaushik said:
  • Angular velocity of upper part starts to decrease while that of lower part remains constant [correct]
  • Angular velocity of upper part starts to decrease while that of lower part starts to increase [incorrect]

Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Agreed.

So if we adopt my reading of the question, the first possibility below would be correct and the second possibility below would be incorrect.

Shall we proceed to the question of whether the angular velocity of both parts is identical?
Yes!

Just when it breaks the angular velocity remains identical?

Kaushik said:
Just when it breaks the angular velocity remains identical?
It would be good to flesh that out with a little reasoning. There is no force (and no momentary angular impulse) associated with the break, so angular momentum conservation applies with full force, both for the upper part and the lower part. Both were rotating around their respective centers with the same speed prior to the break, so they continue rotating about their respective centers with the same speed after the break.

Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
There is no force (and no momentary angular impulse) associated with the break, so angular momentum conservation applies with full force, both for the upper part and the lower part
Sorry for not responding to your message on time.
I’m not sure I understand the quoted line. Could you please elaborate?

Last edited:
Kaushik said:
Sorry for not responding to your message on time.
I’m not sure I understand the quoted line. Could you please elaborate?
Let us consider the situation an instant prior to the break. The rod as a whole is rotating about the pivot with some angular velocity. Call that velocity ##\omega##.

If we draw an imaginary dividing line at the point of the break, we can consider the top and bottom part of the rod separately. The top part is rotating about the pivot point with angular velocity ##\omega##. The bottom part is rotating about its center point with angular velocity ##\omega## while that center point is itself translating horizontally with some velocity.

Are we in agreement so far?

• Informative
Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Let us consider the situation an instant prior to the break. The rod as a whole is rotating about the pivot with some angular velocity. Call that velocity ##\omega##.

If we draw an imaginary dividing line at the point of the break, we can consider the top and bottom part of the rod separately. The top part is rotating about the pivot point with angular velocity ##\omega##. The bottom part is rotating about its center point with angular velocity ##\omega## while that center point is itself translating horizontally with some velocity.

Are we in agreement so far?
Yes!

Now the break takes place. Our imaginary dividing line becomes a real dividing line. That is all that happens. The motion of the top piece and the bottom piece are unchanged.

Are we still in agreement?

Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Now the break takes place. Our imaginary dividing line becomes a real dividing line. That is all that happens. The motion of the top piece and the bottom piece are unchanged.

Are we still in agreement?
Momentarily they are unchanged. Isn’t?
If yes, Agreed!

Kaushik said:
Momentarily they are unchanged. Isn’t?
If yes, Agreed!
Yes. Recall that this was an argument in favor of the correctness of:
Kaushik said:
Angular velocity of both the parts is identical
which I read to be about the angular velocity of both parts immediately after the moment the break.

Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Yes. Recall that this was an argument in favor of the correctness of:

which I read to be about the angular velocity of both parts immediately after the moment the break.
So as the angular velocities of both the parts are identical the last option cannot be true. Isn’t?

Kaushik said:
So as the angular velocities of both the parts are identical the last option cannot be true. Isn’t?
Yes, just so.

We have agreed that it is rotating just before and just after the break. Which means that we've agreed that it does not suddenly stop rotating.

• Informative
Likes Kaushik
jbriggs444 said:
Yes, just so.

We have agreed that it is rotating just before and just after the break. Which means that we've agreed that it does not suddenly stop rotating.
Thanks a lot for your help!

1. What causes a uniform rod to break when allowed to rotate about an axis?

The primary cause of a uniform rod breaking when allowed to rotate about an axis is the build-up of stress and strain on the rod. As the rod rotates, the weight of the rod and any additional forces acting on it can cause it to bend and flex, leading to the development of cracks and ultimately, breakage.

2. How does the length of the rod affect its likelihood of breaking when rotating about an axis?

The length of the rod plays a significant role in its likelihood of breaking when rotating about an axis. Longer rods have a greater surface area and are more susceptible to bending and flexing, which can lead to breakage. Shorter rods are more rigid and less likely to break under the same conditions.

3. Can the material of the rod impact its tendency to break when rotating about an axis?

Yes, the material of the rod can greatly impact its tendency to break when rotating about an axis. Materials with higher strength and flexibility, such as steel or aluminum, are less likely to break compared to more brittle materials like glass or ceramic.

4. Is there a specific speed at which a uniform rod is most likely to break when rotating about an axis?

The speed at which a uniform rod is most likely to break when rotating about an axis depends on various factors such as the length, material, and shape of the rod. However, in general, the faster the rotation, the greater the forces acting on the rod and the higher the likelihood of breakage.

5. Can the placement of the axis of rotation affect the likelihood of a uniform rod breaking?

Yes, the placement of the axis of rotation can impact the likelihood of a uniform rod breaking. If the axis is placed at a point where the rod is weakest, such as the middle of a longer rod, it is more likely to break compared to an axis placed closer to one end of the rod.