AC Alternator Load Loss on Engine Performance

In summary, the amount of load a theoretical engine would suffer from an AC alternator, such as one found on an automobile engine producing 40 amps at 110 volts, would depend on the efficiency of the alternator and the duration of the load. If we assume an alternator efficiency of 55%, the engine would have to generate about 2600W of power to sustain a 1400W load. However, the engine may experience additional losses even when the alternator is not at maximum capacity, which could be more significant than the brief period of maximum load.
Brian James
I'm trying to determine the amount of load (power loss) a theoretical engine will suffer from an AC alternator, such as one you would find on an automobile engine, they produce something of 40 amps with 110 volts I believe? To be specific, I'm curious to know how much a theoretical engine would suffer from an alternator when it is at maximum capacity for only .005- .010 of a second. I understand a lot more goes into it but if anyone has a general idea of what I could expect that would be appreciated

Science news on Phys.org
Power is already a time rate, so the duration doesn't matter. You have specified volts and amps: do know how to calculate power from that?

Most automotive alternators are regulated to output 14 volts +/- 0.5 with a maximum current output in the 100 to 140 ampere range.

Brian James said:
I'm trying to determine the amount of load (power loss) a theoretical engine will suffer from an AC alternator, such as one you would find on an automobile engine, they produce something of 40 amps with 110 volts I believe? To be specific, I'm curious to know how much a theoretical engine would suffer from an alternator when it is at maximum capacity for only .005- .010 of a second. I understand a lot more goes into it but if anyone has a general idea of what I could expect that would be appreciated

If we assume the alternator generates 14V at 100A then the power delivered by the alternator is 1400W. An alternator isn't 100% efficient so the engine will need to produce more power than that. This paper suggests alternator efficiency ranges from 55% to 80% and the belt driving it around 97% efficient.

http://www.delcoremy.com/documents/high-efficiency-white-paper.aspx

So if we assume 55% the engine would have to deliver 1400 * 100/55 * 100/97 = about 2600W.

That's the power the engine would have to generate if the alternator was running continuously at 1400W. If it's just for 0.01 seconds that equates to 2600 * 0.01 = 26 Joules. For reference a AA battery might contain about 5400 Joules of energy.

However what does the alternator do the rest of the time? Typically it's still turning so the engine will still experience losses and these could be considerable and more important than what it's doing for the 0.01 seconds.

Likes billy_joule

What is AC alternator load loss?

AC alternator load loss refers to the decrease in engine performance that occurs when the alternator is under a heavy electrical load. This is because the alternator is responsible for providing power to the electrical components of the engine, and when it is overloaded, it can't keep up with the demand, resulting in decreased performance.

How does AC alternator load loss affect engine performance?

AC alternator load loss can cause a decrease in engine power and speed, as well as poor acceleration and difficulty starting the engine. It can also lead to issues with other electrical components, such as lights dimming or not working properly.

What are the common causes of AC alternator load loss?

The most common causes of AC alternator load loss include using too many electrical accessories at once, using high-wattage devices, or having a faulty alternator. In some cases, a weak or dying battery can also contribute to AC alternator load loss.

How can AC alternator load loss be prevented?

To prevent AC alternator load loss, it is important to limit the use of electrical accessories when the engine is running. This includes turning off unnecessary devices and avoiding high-wattage devices. Regular maintenance of the alternator and battery can also help prevent load loss.

What are the potential consequences of prolonged AC alternator load loss?

If AC alternator load loss is not addressed, it can lead to damage to the alternator and other electrical components, as well as reduced engine performance and potential breakdowns. It is important to address any signs of load loss to prevent further damage and maintain optimal engine performance.