Acceleration equations involving time.

In summary: Yes if your teacher requires you to round up after every step.I would round after the final answer for time though.
cneedshelp
At highway speeds, a certain car is capable of an an acceleration of about 1.7 m/s^2. At this rate, how long does it take to accelerate from 90 km/hr to 110 km/hr? (WATCH UNITS.)

Given- Time=?
A=1.7m/s^2
Vi=90km/hr
Vf=110km/hr

Vf=vi+at Solve for t! T= vf-vi/a 110km/hr-90km/hr = 20km/hr
1.7m/s^2

How do I divide 20km/hr by 1.7 m/s^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
cneedshelp said:
At highway speeds, a certain car is capable of an an acceleration of about 1.7 m/s^2. At this rate, how long does it take to accelerate from 90 km/hr to 110 km/hr? (WATCH UNITS.)

Given- Time=?
A=1.7m/s^2
Vi=90km/hr
Vf=110km/hrVf=vi+at Solve for t! T= vf-vi/a 110km/hr-90km/hr = 20km/hr
1.7m/s^2

How do I divide 20km/hr by 1.7 m/s^2?

First convert your units to be in terms of meters and seconds then do the calculation.

bp_psy said:
First convert your units to be in terms of meters and seconds then do the calculation.

I got .02m but I'm not sure how to convert the hr to seconds

cneedshelp said:
I got .02m but I'm not sure how to convert the hr to seconds
What is that .02m?
You want to convert km/hr to m/s.An hour has 60 mins and a min has 60 sec.
[itex]\frac{1km}{hr}\frac{1hr}{3600s}\frac{1000m}{1km}= \frac {1000m}{3600s}[/itex]

bp_psy said:
What is that .02m?
You want to convert km/hr to m/s.An hour has 60 mins and a min has 60 sec.
[itex]\frac{1km}{hr}\frac{1hr}{3600s}\frac{1000m}{1km}= \frac {1000m}{3600s}[/itex]

What I did now was 20(1000)/3600
is 6m/s using sig figs and that's the answer! right?

cneedshelp said:
What I did now was 20(1000)/3600
is 6m/s using sig figs and that's the answer! right?

Yes if your teacher requires you to round up after every step.I would round after the final answer for time though.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. What is the equation for acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How do you solve for acceleration in an equation involving time?

To solve for acceleration, you need to know the initial and final velocities and the time elapsed. Then, plug these values into the acceleration equation, a = (vf - vi)/t, and solve for a.

4. How does time affect acceleration?

As time increases, acceleration can either increase or decrease depending on the initial and final velocities. If the final velocity is greater than the initial velocity, then acceleration will be positive. If the final velocity is less than the initial velocity, then acceleration will be negative.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration equations involving time?

Some real-life examples of acceleration equations involving time include a car accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 10 seconds, a ball falling due to gravity, and a rocket launching into space. In each of these examples, the object's acceleration is affected by time and can be calculated using the acceleration equation.