Acceleration of an electron in both a magnetic and an electric field

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of acceleration of an electron moving with a speed of 1m/s in the y-direction, given an electric field of 4 N/C in the x-direction and a magnetic field of 4 T in the -z direction. Using the equations Fm=qv X B, Felectric field=qE, and F=ma, the net force is found to be -6.408X10-19N. By applying the right-hand rule, the direction of the force is determined to be against the electric field and the resulting acceleration is found to be 4.508X10-7 m/s^2. The negative sign indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the
lynkyra

Homework Statement

Let E = 4 N/C in the x direction and B = 4 T in the -z direction. Let an electron move in the y-direction
with speed 1m/s. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the electron in m/s2?

Homework Equations

Fm=qv X B
Felectric field=qE
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in values and found Fm to equal -6.408X10-19N and found Felectric field to also equal -6.408X10-19N. I'm not sure my sign is right on the first one because I was confused about the flow of the electron versus the flow of the current...

F=ma, and since I know the mass of an electron and I'm trying to find the acceleration, I think that I should add my two forces to get a total force, which equals ma. I did this and got a=4.508X10-7. I think this is wrong, though, because I think an acceleration would be larger than that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, check your signs. The directions of the forces are key. When in doubt, set up the vectors (they're very simple in this case) and carry out the vector math to find the resultant force. You may find that the net acceleration is smaller than you think :wink:

I would check my signs, but I don't know what they should be. I'm not good with vectors and I don't fully understand what a cross product is. Also, my instructor implied that the answer to this question was only X10^-(1,2, or 3).

A negatively charged electron is accelerated "upstream" in an electric field. Remember that when you draw a diagram showing an electric field, the field arrows are shown emanating out of positive charges and into negative charges (think of the electric field between capacitor plates). A negative charge is attracted by a positive charge. So the electron heads "against" the arrow directions. On the other hand a positive charge does the opposite and accelerates in the same direction as the field arrows.

For magnetic fields you should learn to use the right-hand rule to find the direction of the force. The right-hand rule tells you the direction that results from performing a cross product of vectors (in this case velocity crossed with magnetic field). Comes in very handy (pun!) in many situations where cross products come up.

Your calculations are correct. The acceleration of the electron in this scenario is indeed 4.508 x 10^-7 m/s^2. This may seem small, but it is actually quite significant for an electron. Keep in mind that the mass of an electron is very small, so even a small acceleration can have a significant effect on its motion. Also, the negative sign in your calculations indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity, which is to be expected since the forces from the magnetic and electric fields are acting against the motion of the electron in the y-direction.

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of an electron in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of an electron in a magnetic field is a = qvB/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the charge of the electron, v is the velocity of the electron, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the acceleration of an electron?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the acceleration of an electron by causing it to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field. The faster the electron's speed, the larger the radius of the circular path will be.

3. What is the relationship between the charge of the electron and its acceleration in an electric field?

The relationship between the charge of the electron and its acceleration in an electric field is that the acceleration is directly proportional to the charge of the electron. This means that the greater the charge of the electron, the greater the acceleration will be in the electric field.

4. How does the strength of the electric field affect the acceleration of an electron?

The strength of the electric field affects the acceleration of an electron by causing it to accelerate in the direction of the electric field. The stronger the electric field, the greater the acceleration of the electron will be.

5. Can an electron accelerate in both a magnetic and an electric field at the same time?

Yes, an electron can accelerate in both a magnetic and an electric field at the same time. The acceleration in each field will contribute to the total acceleration of the electron, resulting in a curved path known as a helix.