1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration with limited known variables Question

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bush baby, an African primate, is capable of leaping vertically to the remarkable height of 2.26 m. To jump this high, the bush baby accelerates over a distance of 0.160 m, while extending the legs. The acceleration during the jump is approximately constant. What is the acceleration in m/s?

h=2.26m
    d=.160m
    g=9.8m/s

2. Relevant equations

d=.5 X a X t
    V=a X t
    h=V X t-1/2g(t^2)
    0=V - g X t

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to attempt this without another variable given.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Acceleration is in m/s^2, not m/s.

The acceleration happens first, to give a Vo. Then the rest is just governed by the simple/regular gravity kinematic equations. Show your work.

4. Sep 11, 2009 #3
    Here's what I got, and I submitted it and it's still wrong. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

The square of the max initial velocity Vo² = 2gh where h is 2.16 - .16 = 2.1 m.

Vo² = 41.16 m²/s²

To reach this speed in a jump of y meters, a = Vo²/(2y) = 41.16/(2*.16)

a = 128.625 m/s = 13.125 g's

5. Sep 11, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The numbers look right to me, except for the units on the final answer (I'll say again, the units of acceleration are m/s^2, not m/s). If you carried the units along in your equations above the answer, you would have gotten the same number and the correct units.

If you submit a = 128.63 m/s^2, is it still wrong?

6. Sep 11, 2009 #5
    Yeah, it's wrong. All I need is the numbers, the m/s^2 is given. It said the answer is 138! Anyone know how they got that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook