How Do You Correctly Solve Vector Addition Problems?

• Thread starter APphysicsfail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of adding two vectors, 10 km [S53°E] and 25 km 16.26° N of E, using the law of cosines and law of sines equations. The speaker shares their attempt at a solution, where they first split the vectors into components and then use the law of cosines to find the resultant. However, they question the validity of their answer and ask for clarification. The expert summarizer suggests using the Pythagorean theorem and the tangent function to determine the distance and angle of the final vector.
APphysicsfail
I know that this is a simple concept, but I've been working on this for so long and I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing.

Homework Statement

Add these vectors: 10 km [S53°E] and 25 km 16.26° N of E

Homework Equations

Law of cosines and law of sines equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I visualized the vectors as two arrows, the shorter one pointing down at a 323° angle (of 53° east of south) and the longer one starting at the tip of the first one, pointing up 16.26°. My first attempt was to split them up into components- I drew legs off of the lines to make right triangles and used trig to calculate Ax=3.96km, Ay=9.18km, Bx=21.29 and By=13.11 with Ax/Ay being the components of the 10km line, Bx/By the components of 25km. I then realized that the resultant line I was looking for wasn't going to be the hypotenuse of a triangle but the side of a quadrilateral, so finding the components was useless.

Then I found the supplementary angle between 37° (the compliment of 53°) and 16.26° to be 126.74°. I used the law of cosines to find the length of the resultant, with 126.74° being my angle C and the resultant being c.

c^2 = a^2+b^2 - 2ab(cosC)
c^2 = 10^2+25^2 - 2(10)(25)(cos126.74)
c^2 = 487.7
c = 22.08

I feel like I'm doing this wrong, since it's odd that the resultant is shorter than the second vector. I went on to plug this information into the law of sines to find the angle of the new vector, using 25 as B, 22.08 as C, 126.74 as c and looking for b.

sinb/B = sinc/C
sinb/25 = sin126.74/22.08
b = .665°
53°+0.665 = 53.665° E of S.

So the answer I got is 22.08km 53.665 E of S. I'm positive that this is wrong. Could someone please explain to me how this works and what I'm doing wrong? If my phrasing of the question is confusing, ask me any questions you have and I'll try convey it clearer. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
first determine x y components of each vector then add x comps and y comps to get the final vector then use pythagorean theorem to get dist and the y/x = tan (theta) to get angle.

1. How do I identify the magnitude and direction of a vector?

To identify the magnitude of a vector, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. To determine the direction of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine, or you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle between the vector and the x-axis.

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

3. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you need to use the parallelogram law. This law states that the sum or difference of two vectors is equal to the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. You can also use the triangle method, which involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a third vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector.

4. What is the dot product and how is it used to solve vector problems?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The dot product is used to find the angle between two vectors, and it can also be used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular (dot product = 0) or parallel (dot product = magnitude of one vector times magnitude of the other vector).

5. How can I apply vectors to real-world problems?

Vectors have many real-world applications, including navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, in navigation, vectors can be used to represent the direction and speed of a moving object, such as a plane or a ship. In engineering, vectors can be used to represent forces acting on a structure, and in physics, vectors are used to represent the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion. By understanding how to solve vector problems, you can apply this knowledge to various real-world situations and make accurate predictions and calculations.