1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adv. linear algebra, tensor product, dual space

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that V* [tex]\otimes[/tex] W is isomorphic to Hom(V,W) in the case that one of V and W is finite-dimensional.

3. The attempt at a solution

A pair (l,w) in V*xW defines a map V->W, v->l(v)w. This map is bilinear.

Because it's bilinear, it defines a bilinear map V* [tex]\otimes[/tex] W -> Hom(V,W)

Now if both were finite-dimensional, we could just pick a basis for both V and W, so (v,w) is the same as

([tex]\sum v^i e_i, \sum w^j f_j [/tex], and have the map V*[tex]\otimes[/tex]W->Hom(V,W) send [tex]x^i \otimes f_j[/tex] to [tex](u_i)^j:V->W[/tex] that takes e_i to f_j and every other basis vector e_i' to 0. now {u} makes up a basis for Hom(V,W) and because the map was linear I am done.

but in the partially infinite dimensional case I cannot pick a basis.

Suppose for instance W is finite. My best guess is to write an element of V*[tex]\otimes[/tex]W explicitly, find a better explicit mapping and find an explicit inverse. Then I am done. But how to do this?

My guess: 'physics slang bracket notation' suggest a mapping like |w><v| -> l(v)w... but I got nothing explicit. Anyone wanna help me a bit?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?