Calculating Radius of Airplane's Horizontal Circle

In summary, the question asks for the radius of a circle in which an airplane is flying at a speed of 480 km/h with wings tilted at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. The force needed for this motion is provided by an "aerodynamic lift" perpendicular to the wing surface. The solution involves using the equations Fnet = ma and a = v^2 / R, and constructing two free-body diagrams. After solving for the force and substituting it into the equation for the x direction, the radius is found to be approximately 2 km.
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 480 km/h (Fig. 6-42). If its wings are tilted at angle θ = 40° to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane is flying? Assume that the required force is provided entirely by an “aerodynamic lift” that is perpendicular to the wing surface.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c06/fig06_39.gif

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

a = v^2 / R

The Attempt at a Solution

Converted g[9.8 m/s^2] to km/h^2 to get 35.28 km/h^2

I designed two free-body diagrams: one for the plane's angle [40 degrees] and for the perpendicular "aerodynamic lift" [50 degrees] on a normal cartesian x,y coordinate.

For the free body diagram for the plane [40 degrees] I got: [x is noted as theta]

x: -FnCosx = ma
y: FnSinx - Fg = 0

Solved for Fn in the y and got Fn = Fg/Sinx and substituted Fn in x to get:

(mg/sinx)cosx = m(v^2/R)

Through algebra I got R = [(V^2)(Tan(40))] /g.

The answer was far too large and far from the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting; I didn't think there was enough information but it did work out.
I think you have mixed up the angle. In the y direction, Fn*cos(theta) - mg = 0.
I converted to meters and seconds - much easier! Got a little over 2 km for the radius.

So
x: -FnSin(theta) = m(-a)
y: FnCos(theta) - mg = 0 ?

This is how my free body diagram looks like:

Where theta is the angle of the plane [40 degrees]

l_eb18de4951a8477dbbc9fd693c0d498e.jpg

plane.jpg

Yes, agree with
x: -FnSin(theta) = m(-a)
y: FnCos(theta) - mg = 0 ?
where theta is 40 degrees.

thanks a bunch!

* I just messed up on the conversion of my g from m/s^2 to km/h^2 silly me

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle?

The formula for calculating the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle is R = V^2/g, where V is the velocity of the airplane and g is the gravitational constant (approximately 9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you measure the velocity of an airplane?

The velocity of an airplane can be measured using instruments such as an airspeed indicator or a GPS system. The airspeed indicator measures the speed of the airplane relative to the surrounding air, while a GPS system measures the speed of the airplane relative to the ground.

3. Can the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle be negative?

No, the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle cannot be negative. It represents the distance from the center of the circle to the edge, and therefore must be a positive value.

4. What is the significance of calculating the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle?

Calculating the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle is important for understanding the turning capabilities of the airplane. A smaller radius indicates a tighter turn, while a larger radius indicates a wider turn. This information is crucial for pilots when navigating through airspace.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the radius of an airplane's horizontal circle. These include the weight and balance of the airplane, as well as external factors such as wind speed and direction. These factors may alter the velocity of the airplane, and therefore impact the calculated radius of the horizontal circle.