Airplane Propeller: Rotational Kinetic Energy & Angular Speed

In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational kinetic energy of an airplane propeller with given length, mass, and angular velocity. The propeller can be modeled as a slender rod. The solution involves using the equations for inertia and kinetic energy. In solving the first part, there was an error in calculating the inertia, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct answer is 4.81 x 10^6. In the second part, the propeller's mass was reduced by 75% while maintaining the same size and kinetic energy. The solution involves finding the new inertia and using it to calculate the required angular speed in rpm, which is 112592.
azila

Homework Statement

An airplane propeller is 1.85 m in length (from tip to tip) with mass 97.0 kg and is rotating at 2300 rpm (rev/min) about an axis through its center. YOu can model the propeller as a slender rod.

What is its rotational kinetic energy?

Suppose that due to weight constraints, you had to reduce the propeller's mass to 75.0% of its original mass, but you still needed to keep the same size and kinetic enrgy. What would its angular speed have to be, in rpm?

Homework Equations

I = 1/12ML^2
after substituting, K = 1/2Iomega^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for the first part, I solved for inertia and I got inertia as 165.99. THen I plugged that into the kinetic equation and with the velocity is rad/sec which was 240.86, and got the kinetic energy to be 4.81 x 10^6, which is not the answer.

For the second part, I first found the mass without 75% of it to be 24.25 kg. So, I solved for Inertia again and got 6.92. Used that value in the kinetic equation to solve for omega and then converted that to rpm to get 112592 rpm which looks really weird and is not the answer.

Any help?? Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
azila said:
Ok, for the first part, I solved for inertia and I got inertia as 165.99.
Redo this calculation.

thanks, I got it..

Related to Airplane Propeller: Rotational Kinetic Energy & Angular Speed

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotation. In the case of an airplane propeller, it is the energy that allows the propeller to rotate and move the airplane forward.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy related to angular speed?

Rotational kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the angular speed. This means that as the angular speed of the propeller increases, the rotational kinetic energy also increases.

3. What factors affect the rotational kinetic energy of an airplane propeller?

The rotational kinetic energy of an airplane propeller is affected by the mass of the propeller, the angular speed, and the moment of inertia (a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotation of an object).

4. How is rotational kinetic energy used in airplanes?

The rotational kinetic energy of an airplane propeller is converted into thrust, which is used to move the airplane forward. This allows the airplane to take off, maintain altitude, and change direction.

5. How is the angular speed of an airplane propeller measured?

The angular speed of an airplane propeller is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM). This can be measured using instruments such as a tachometer or by analyzing video footage of the propeller in motion.