Linear Approximation of Algebraic Equation for Quick Q Question

• Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
In summary, neglecting the term containing Mu^3 in the equation for orbits around the sun results in a smaller than expected correction term for the Newtonian equation.
binbagsss
Question :

##u=\frac{E}{J}sin\phi + V##
Sustituting into ##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}-u^{2}+2Mu^{3}##, and keeping only linear terms in ##V## attain ##cos \phi \frac{dV}{d\phi}=-sin \phi V+\frac{ME^{2}}{J^{2}}sin^{3}\phi##

My working: equalities given up to linear terms in V

##\frac{du}{d\phi}=\frac{E}{J}cos\phi+\frac{dV}{d\phi}##
##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}cos^{2}\phi+\frac{2E}{J}cos\phi\frac{dV}{d\phi}##
##u^{2}=\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}sin^{2}\phi+2\frac{E}{J}sin\phi V##
##u^{3}=\frac{E^{3}}{J^{3}}sin^{3}\phi+3\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}sin^{2}\phi V##Subbing in gives ##\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}cos^{2}\phi+\frac{2E}{J}cos\phi\frac{dV}{d\phi}=\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}-\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}sin^{2}\phi-2\frac{E}{J}sin\phi+2M\frac{E^{3}}{J^{3}}sin^{3}\phi+6M\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}sin^{2}\phi V ##

Upon taking the ##cos^{2}\phi## to the other side and cancelling the ##E^{2}{J^{2}}## I have the correct answer but with the addition of the ##sin^{2} \phi## term.

But I can't see a way to justify getting rid of it.
Can anyone see where I've gone wrong?

Thanks very much !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your algebra. You have dropped a factor.

MarcusAgrippa said:
Check your algebra. You have dropped a factor.
Really can't spot it :/ when substituting in or the expressions previous to that?

binbagsss said:
Really can't spot it :/ when substituting in or the expressions previous to that?
or should I be keeping ##d^{2}V/dphi^{2}## terms?

You have evaluated u^2 correctly, but you have not substituted it correctly. Try it again.

MarcusAgrippa said:
You have evaluated u^2 correctly, but you have not substituted it correctly. Try it again.
Oh, typo, I missed a ##V##. This doesn't address my question in the OP.

Ok. I see. I stopped working through the equation when I encountered your typo and assumed that was the problem. I too get the additional term. From where did you copy this problem? It looks like the equation for orbits in a Schwarzschild geometry.

MarcusAgrippa said:
It looks like the equation for orbits in a Schwarzschild geometry.
Indeed. Introduction to General Relativity L.P Hughston and K.P Tod.

The only thing that comes to mind, perhaps, is that M is small (obvious from the fact that the u^3 term is known to be a small correction term to the Newtonian equation, obtained by ignoring it). That means MV is a second order term and is therefore negligible.

Almost every textbook has a very different method for solving this equation. Most are content to convert the equation to second order and then to use an iterative method (usually Picard's method) to find the solution. The only other text I know that solves this equation by a method similar to your book is by Foster and Nightingale, A short course in GR, p 148-150. Give or take a few changes of notation, their solution appears to be identical to yours. However, I have not worked through it in sufficient detail to be able to say with certainty that the methods coincide.

Last edited:
MarcusAgrippa said:
The only thing that comes to mind, perhaps, is that M is small (obvious from the fact that the u^3 term is known to be a small correction term to the Newtonian equation, obtained by ignoring it). That means MV is a second order term and is therefore negligible.

I see, we neglect ##2mu^{3}## to attain the Newtonian equation. But, this is relative to the magnitude of ##u^{3}## to ##M## . ##M## is the mass of the Sun in the solar system which is of the order ##10^{30}kg##.

Figures on the previous page for the orbit of Earth around the sun, considering time-like geodesics are :

##2Mu ## ~ ##10^{-8}##
##J^{2}u^{2}##~##10^{-8}##
##2MJ^{2}u^{3}##~##10^{-16}##

But there's no figures stated for ##E## terms.

An argument that would work equally well is that ##\frac{E^{2}}{J^{2}}## is small compared to ##E^{3}/J^{3}##, i.e. ##E>J##?

Last edited:
I think 2M may the Schwarzschild radius, not the solar mass. It appears in the metric in the factor [itex] \left( 1 -\frac{2M}{r} \right) [/itex]. It must therefore have the dimensions of a distance. I think it abbreviates the quantity [itex] \frac{2GM_\odot}{ c^2} [/itex], which is of the order of 3 km for the Sun.

Also, [itex] u = 1/r [/itex]. For grazing incidence with the Sun, [itex] r \approx 700\ 000 [/itex]km, so [itex] u \approx 10^{-6} km^{-1} [/itex]. These really are small numbers.

Approximate solution (18.16) shows that u is of the same order of magnitude as E/J, and solution (18.18) shows that V is of the order of Mu^2. So my conjecture was right: MV is of the order of V^2.

To see this in advance, rather than retrospectively, note that the approximate solution (18.16) shows that u is of the order of E/J. Further, we expect the correction term V to this solution to be very small since, in equation (18.15), the term 2Mu^3 = (2Mu) u^2, which is a term much smaller than the u^2 term because 2Mu is of the order of 10^{-8}. So, when constructing the second approximation to the solution u by putting u = (E/J) sin \phi + V, we expect V to be a small correction of size about 2Mu which is about 2M J/E. So, when substituting (18.17) into (18.15), we can neglect the term containing MV since it is of the order V^2. That then gives you the answer that you sought.

Last edited:

What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. It is important because it helps us solve real-world problems, make predictions, and understand patterns and relationships.

What is the difference between algebra and arithmetic?

Algebra uses symbols to represent unknown quantities, while arithmetic deals with concrete numbers and operations such as addition and multiplication. Algebra also involves solving equations and working with variables to find the value of a unknown quantity.

What are the basic operations in algebra?

The four basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be performed on both numbers and variables, and they follow the same rules as arithmetic operations.

What is a small approximation in algebra?

A small approximation in algebra is an estimate of a value that is close to the actual value, but not an exact answer. It is often used in situations where finding the exact answer would be too time-consuming or difficult, so a close enough estimate is sufficient.

How does algebra apply to real-life situations?

Algebra can be applied to a wide range of real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, budgeting, and predicting future trends. It is also used in fields such as science, engineering, and economics to model and solve complex problems.