How Does Relativity Affect Observations of Light by Alice and Bob?

• Thread starter TimDubya
  • Start date
In summary: By writing things out explicitly, it is difficult for the matter to be clouded by errors in your intuition. And in the process of writing things out, you might find something you didn't know you were missing.In summary, the problem the professor posed to Bob is of standard Bob and Alice form. In this form, Alice is on a flatbed train, Bob is in the station. When Bob passes Alice (x=0), he flashes a flashlight. Alice then observes the wavefront moving away from Bob at the speed of light, and simultaneously away from herself at the speed of light. My issue is that I can not conceptualize how in Alice's frame she also sees the wavefront moving away from bob at the speed of
TimDubya
I'm sure many will cringe at the mere sight of this question. I've only had a brief introduction to relativity so I am having difficulty conceptually with a problem a professor posed to me. His question is of standard Bob and Alice form.

"Bob is on a flatbed train, Alice is in the station. When bob passes Alice (x=0) he flashes a flashlight."

Now we both agree Alice and Bob independently will observe the wavefront moving away at c. My issue is I can not conceptualize how in Alice's frame she also sees the wavefront moving away from bob at the speed of light and simultaneously away from herself at c while Bob is clearly moving with some velocity along the direction of propagation of the light flash.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
TimDubya said:
My issue is I can not conceptualize how in Alice's frame she also sees the wavefront moving away from bob at the speed of light and simultaneously away from herself at c while Bob is clearly moving with some velocity along the direction of propagation of the light flash.
It looks like you haven't mentally separated the notions of "how fast the distance between two things is increasing in Alice's frame" and "how fast the distance between two things is increasing in Bob's frame".

Hurkyl said:
It looks like you haven't mentally separated the notions of "how fast the distance between two things is increasing in Alice's frame" and "how fast the distance between two things is increasing in Bob's frame".

How might one go about mentally separating such notions.

TimDubya said:
My issue is I can not conceptualize how in Alice's frame she also sees the wavefront moving away from bob at the speed of light
She doesn't. The second postulate of relativity says that in every inertial frame the speed of light is c. It does not say that in every frame the separation speed with every object is c. The separation speed between two objects is not the speed of any object, and so it is not limited to be less than c, etc.

DaleSpam said:
She doesn't. The second postulate of relativity says that in every inertial frame the speed of light is c. It does not say that in every frame the separation speed with every object is c. The separation speed between two objects is not the speed of any object, and so it is not limited to be less than c, etc.

Then do you and Hurkyl disagree?

Not at all. We are taking slightly different approaches to answering your question, but our answers are not in any disagreement.

DaleSpam said:
Not at all. We are taking slightly different approaches to answering your question, but our answers are not in any disagreement.

Ok then my original intuition was correct, thank you.

TimDubya said:
How might one go about mentally separating such notions.
Unlearning something is always a tricky thing.

Math often helps. By writing things out explicitly, it is difficult for the matter to be clouded by errors in your intuition. And in the process of writing things out, you might find something you didn't know you were missing.

Related to How Does Relativity Affect Observations of Light by Alice and Bob?

1. Who are Alice and Bob in the context of "Alice and Bob on the Tracks"?

Alice and Bob are two fictitious characters often used in thought experiments and scenarios in the fields of computer science, cryptography, and game theory.

2. What is the purpose of "Alice and Bob on the Tracks"?

The purpose of "Alice and Bob on the Tracks" is to illustrate the concepts of cooperation, trust, and decision-making in a hypothetical situation where two individuals must work together to achieve a common goal.

3. What is the significance of the train tracks in "Alice and Bob on the Tracks"?

The train tracks represent a time-sensitive and high-stakes scenario where Alice and Bob must make quick and strategic decisions in order to survive and achieve their goal.

4. Are there any variations of "Alice and Bob on the Tracks"?

Yes, there are many variations of this thought experiment, each with different scenarios and variables to explore different concepts and theories.

5. How is "Alice and Bob on the Tracks" relevant to real-life situations?

The concepts and principles depicted in "Alice and Bob on the Tracks" can be applied to real-life situations, such as business partnerships, diplomatic negotiations, and emergency situations, where trust, cooperation, and decision-making are crucial for success.