1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alpha & beta: Glucose

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I find difficulties in recognizing between alpha and beta Glucose.

Can anybody explain briefly how can I differentiate between them ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2
    Another question:

How can I recognize between Sucrose & Maltose ?

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

In β-glucose, the CH2OH and the OH on the anomeric carbon are on the same side of the ring (e.g. they are either both above the plane of the ring or below). In α-glucose, the CH2OH and the OH on the anomeric carbon are on opposite sides of the ring (e.g. if the CH2OH is shown above the plane of the ring, then the anomeric OH should be below). A good way to remember this is to associate α with anti.

The anomeric carbon is the carbon atom in glucose that has two bonds to oxygen.

Maltose is formed from two glucose monomers and sucrose is formed from a glucose and fructose. The easiest way to distinguish between them is to remember that glucose forms a six-membered ring whereas fructose forms a five-membered ring.

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    Thank you very much :)

So β-glucose & α-glucose are geometric isomers ?

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, it would be correct to refer to them as geometric isomers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook