Analog to digital conversion for a project

In summary, analog to digital conversion is the process of converting analog signals into digital signals, which can then be processed and used in electronic devices. This conversion is essential for projects that involve capturing and analyzing data from the physical world, such as in sensor systems or audio and video recordings. The process involves sampling the analog signal at regular intervals and quantizing the signal into discrete digital values. It is a crucial step in modern technology and allows for the storage, manipulation, and transmission of data in a more efficient and accurate manner.
digitalblggr
Hey guys,

I am trying to do analog to digital conversion for a project. I don't want to use the digital chip, but want to do it in analog. I need 8-bit resolution. I found one approach: string resistor ladder. It uses 2^n-1 resistors. For 8-bit conversion I will have to use 255 resistors which is way too much since my final project will be housed on a small PCB. Any suggestions for a better approach?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

digitalblggr said:
Hey guys,

I am trying to do analog to digital conversion for a project. I don't want to use the digital chip, but want to do it in analog. I need 8-bit resolution. I found one approach: string resistor ladder. It uses 2^n-1 resistors. For 8-bit conversion I will have to use 255 resistors which is way too much since my final project will be housed on a small PCB. Any suggestions for a better approach?

Thanks

Yes. Use successive approximation, a DAC, and a comparator instead.

digitalblggr,

I don't know what your "project" is, but unless it IS building an ADC from components, using an ADC IC sure is a better way to go. If you plan on having an on-board uController, you could even select one that has a built-in ADC (the AVR family is a good example.) For <$10 you can get an ADC, a DAC, and a very powerful uController with a lot of other capabilities...but it depends on what your project actually is. I have used both the DACs and ADCs in the ATMegas, you can do amazing things with them.

Good Luck!

Fish

Yes. Use successive approximation, a DAC, and a comparator instead.

This sounds interesting. So I am trying to use as few digital components as possible just as a challenge. Do you think it would work if I used R2R ladder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:R2r-ladder.png instead of DAC ( the problem I run in there is that apparently:

"On a printed circuit board, using discrete components, high precision resistors of 1% accuracy may be employed for a 5 bit circuit, however with bit counts beyond this the cost of ever increasing precision resistors becomes prohibitive."

I don't know what your "project" is, but unless it IS building an ADC from components, using an ADC IC sure is a better way to go. If you plan on having an on-board uController, you could even select one that has a built-in ADC (the AVR family is a good example.) For <$10 you can get an ADC, a DAC, and a very powerful uController with a lot of other capabilities...but it depends on what your project actually is. I have used both the DACs and ADCs in the ATMegas, you can do amazing things with them.

So I am building a digital voice recorder, which will sample human voice at 8 Khz and then convert it into digital signal at 8-bit resolution. I am in fact using the Avr mega32 which has in-built ADC, and that's my fall back plan. I just wanted to attempt building ADC and DAC from the scratch because it sounds interesting, and I want to play around with analog circuitry.( Sadly the rest of my project has very few analog components; it's just a bunch of filters and amplifiers)

The ATMega32 is an awesome member of the AVR family. Maybe you should consider going the other way...instead of seeing how many analog circuits you can build from scratch and cram onto your PCB, perhaps you should see how few components you can use to complete the project? Just a thought. Obviously the digital voice recorder is a "challenge" project (or you would simply buy something from this page: http://onlinecatalog.digikey.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.4.4.16&pagelabel=682# )

Anyway, have FUN with your project!

Fish

Last edited by a moderator:

What is analog to digital conversion?

Analog to digital conversion is the process of converting analog signals, which are continuous and varying signals, into digital signals, which are discrete and quantized signals. This allows for easier storage, manipulation, and transmission of the signal.

Why is analog to digital conversion important for a project?

Analog to digital conversion is important for a project because it allows for the use of digital devices and systems to process and analyze analog signals. It also allows for accurate and consistent measurements of the signal, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering projects.

What are the different methods of analog to digital conversion?

There are several methods of analog to digital conversion, including ramp or staircase conversion, delta modulation, successive approximation, and sigma-delta conversion. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of signals and applications.

What factors should be considered when choosing an analog to digital conversion method for a project?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an analog to digital conversion method for a project include the nature of the signal being converted, the required accuracy and resolution, the sampling rate, and the cost and complexity of the chosen method.

What are the potential challenges or limitations of analog to digital conversion?

Analog to digital conversion can face challenges such as aliasing, where high-frequency components of the analog signal are misrepresented in the digital signal, and quantization error, which can introduce inaccuracies in the digital representation of the analog signal. Additionally, the speed and accuracy of the conversion process can be limited by the hardware and software used.