Analyzing Falling Rod Motion: Angular Velocity and Tip Speed

In summary, a long, thin rod of mass M and length L is standing straight up on a table with its lower end rotating on a frictionless pivot. A slight push causes the rod to fall over, hitting the table. The angular velocity at impact can be found using the moment of inertia equation, I= (ML^2)/3, and the energy equation. The angular velocity is equal to the square root of (3g/L). For the second part of the question, the speed of the tip of the rod can be found by multiplying the angular velocity by the length of the rod.
roman15

Homework Statement

A long, thin rod of mass M and length L is standing straight up on a table. Its lower end rotates on a frictionless pivot. A very slight push causes the rod to fall over. As it hits the table, what are a)the angular velocity and b) the speed of the tip of the rod?

I'm having trouble visualizing this problem. If the rod it straight up and the lower end is rotating, isn't the top end also rotating. And I'm not sure how to approach this problem either.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
oh ok so i got that first part, finding the angular velocity when it hits the ground
used I= (ML^2)/3 because the axis of rotation is from one end of the rod, and then used energy to find that the angular velocity when it hits the table is square root of (3g/L)

But then for the second part of the question, the velocity of the top part of the rod, I'm not sure how to get. Would it just be the angular velocity I got from the first part multiplied by the length of the rod?

roman15 said:
Would it just be the angular velocity I got from the first part multiplied by the length of the rod?
Yep.

Related to Analyzing Falling Rod Motion: Angular Velocity and Tip Speed

1. What is the rotation of a straight up rod?

The rotation of a straight up rod refers to the spinning motion of a rod around its own axis.

2. How is the rotation of a straight up rod measured?

The rotation of a straight up rod is typically measured in degrees or radians per unit of time, such as revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

3. What factors affect the rotation of a straight up rod?

The rotation of a straight up rod can be affected by various factors such as the length and mass of the rod, the force applied to it, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. What are some real-world applications of rotation of a straight up rod?

The rotation of a straight up rod is a fundamental concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It is used in the design and operation of various machines and devices, including motors, turbines, and propellers.

5. How does the rotation of a straight up rod relate to angular momentum?

The rotation of a straight up rod is directly related to its angular momentum, which is a measure of its tendency to continue rotating. As the rod spins faster or slower, its angular momentum will also change accordingly.