Angle of repose - Trying to understand the formula

In summary: The only thing I would add is that the maximum static friction force occurs when the object is just about to start sliding, so the force must be equal and opposite to the applied force that is trying to make the object slide. This is due to the principle of equilibrium.
k.udhay
I recently posted a question on similar line and got few good explanations as well. Still, I am unable to understand clearly. Hence I am going more specific this time.

In the given picture taken from internet, friction force acting between an inclined plane and an object is defined as Fr = W x sin (phi).

Does it mean the friction force (acting upwards!) increases with slope of the gradient? In practice, the object starts falling down as the slope increases. That should mean that the friction force reduces with slope, shouldn't it? I feel the formula and actual are contradicting. Though, I am sure I am mistaken somewhere. Pl. help. Thanks.
upload_2016-11-7_21-48-26.png

@haruspex @mike.Albert99 @sophiecentaur

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's try to be precise, then:

k.udhay said:
In the given picture taken from internet, friction force acting between an inclined plane and an object is defined as Fr = W x sin (phi)
Should be:
friction force acting between an inclined plane and an object that does not slide is calculated to be as Fr = W x sin (phi)
k.udhay said:
Does it mean the friction force (acting upwards!) increases with slope of the gradient?
That is correct. ##\ \phi = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ F_{\rm friction} = 0##
You can see it from Fr = W x sin (phi) as well.

k.udhay said:
That should mean that the friction force reduces with slope, shouldn't it?
No. Gravity is pulling downwards along the plane with a force ##mg\;\sin\phi##. As long as the block doesn't start sliding, this downward pulling component of gravity is offset by the friction force, which is acting in an upward direction along the slope.

If you gradually increase the angle, there comes a moment when the maximum friction force ##\mu \;mg\;{\bf \cos} \phi## is reached and for any ##\phi## above that the block will slide.

At this maximum ##\phi## you can write ## \mu \;mg\;{\bf \cos} \phi + (-\;mg\; \sin \phi ) = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ \mu = \tan\phi_{\rm max}\ ##

With the minus sign I indicate the force is acting in a direction opposite the ##\mu \;mg\;{\bf \cos} \phi##, i.e. I choose downward along the plane as positive.

[edit] Sorry -- someone should have corrected this:
With the minus sign I indicate the force ##\;mg\; \sin \phi\ ## from gravity is acting in a direction opposite the force ##\mu \;mg\;{\bf \cos} \phi## from friction, i.e. I choose upward along the plane as positive, and I take the numerical value of ##g## as positive.

Last edited:
To expand now with less precision, yes the force of friction changes with the applied forces to prevent motion right up to the point that the required force exceeds the maximum possible force as indicated by the coefficient of static friction. At that point the box slips and the force of friction drops to the "constant" value of sliding friction. (Constant in quotes because real surfaces are irregular and the force of sliding friction will vary as the conditions vary while sliding.). So sliding friction is a force of a fixed magnitude (in fixed conditions), but static friction is a force of constraint (there's a correct term, but I can't think of it) taking on any value necessary to oppose motion (up to a maximum). So is the normal force in this problem, by the way.

mike.Albert99 said:
To expand now with less precision, yes the force of friction changes with the applied forces to prevent motion right up to the point that the required force exceeds the maximum possible force as indicated by the coefficient of static friction. At that point the box slips and the force of friction drops to the "constant" value of sliding friction. (Constant in quotes because real surfaces are irregular and the force of sliding friction will vary as the conditions vary while sliding.). So sliding friction is a force of a fixed magnitude (in fixed conditions), but static friction is a force of constraint (there's a correct term, but I can't think of it) taking on any value necessary to oppose motion (up to a maximum). So is the normal force in this problem, by the way.
That's all good.

What is the angle of repose?

The angle of repose is the maximum angle at which a material can rest on a slope without sliding.

What is the formula for calculating the angle of repose?

The formula for calculating the angle of repose is arctan (μ), where μ is the coefficient of friction between the material and the slope surface.

How is the angle of repose used in science?

The angle of repose is used to understand the stability and potential for movement of materials on different surfaces, such as in landslides and avalanches. It is also used in fields like geology, engineering, and agriculture to determine the best slope angle for structures or the flow of granular materials.

What factors can affect the angle of repose?

The angle of repose can be affected by various factors, including the size and shape of the material, the surface roughness of the slope, the moisture content, and the presence of other materials or objects on the slope.

Are there any limitations to the angle of repose formula?

While the angle of repose formula is a useful tool for understanding material behavior on slopes, it does have some limitations. It assumes a homogeneous material and a constant coefficient of friction, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account other forces, such as wind or water, which can also affect the stability of materials on slopes.