Angular Momentum Conservation in Impulsive Blow: Rolling and Climbing Cylinder

In summary: Yes.Well, you are right, angular momentum is conserved with respect to the contact point at the wall. The result is the same obtained with my method.In summary, the cylinder rolls without sliding up a vertical wall after striking it with an angular velocity of ##\omega##/2.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question says:
A uniform solid cylinder rolling with angular velocity ##\omega## along a plane surface strikes a vertical rigid wall. With what angular velocity the cylinder begins to roll up the wall because of impulsive blow? It is observed it rolls without sliding after striking the wall.
  1. ##\omega##/2
  2. ##\omega##/3
  3. ##\omega##/5
  4. ##\omega##/4

Homework Equations

##I_1\omega _1=I_2\omega _2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Can we conserve angular momentum along the point at which the cylinder strikes the wall? I don't think so because that point gives an impulse to the cylinder.

Physics news on Phys.org
mooncrater said:
Can we conserve angular momentum along the point at which the cylinder strikes the wall? I don't think so because that point gives an impulse to the cylinder.
what moment would that impulse have about that point?

haruspex said:
what moment would that impulse have about that point?
Since it passes through it, zero?

mooncrater said:
Since it passes through it, zero?
Yes.

Friction plays the main role. During the collision, some impulsive force of friction is exerted on the cylinder. That force causes upward acceleration and its torque changes the initial angular velocity. Both the momentum and the angular momentum change.

ehild said:
Friction plays the main role. During the collision, some impulsive force of friction is exerted on the cylinder. That force causes upward acceleration and its torque changes the initial angular velocity.
Indeed, but that also has no moment about the point of contact, so the OP's proposed method works fine.

Likes mooncrater
The cylinder slides during the contact, it does not roll.

ehild said:
The cylinder slides during the contact, it does not roll.
Not according to the OP.

Okay then, I am a little confused about the conditions for applying conservation of angular momentum. Is it that the torque around it should be zero?

haruspex said:
Not according to the OP.
When the rolling cylinder hits the wall, it rubs the wall. There is sliding friction. The collision takes some time when the impulsive force and impulsive torque take effect. As a result, the cylinder looses its horizontal velocity and gains an upward velocity, and also its angular velocity changes.

mooncrater said:
Okay then, I am a little confused about the conditions for applying conservation of angular momentum. Is it that the torque around it should be zero?
You can apply the the torque equation with respect of a fixed axis or with respect to the CM. Some Δt time is needed to stop the horizontal motion of the cylinder. During that time, the surface of the cylinder slides on the wall. There is no instantaneously fixed axis of rotation.

ehild said:
When the rolling cylinder hits the wall, it rubs the wall. There is sliding friction.
I see no reason to assume that. If the normal impulse is J, the frictional impulse due to static friction is up to ##\mu_sJ##. If that is enough to provide the vertical velocity consistent with the angular momentum conservation then no slipping.
If we do allow slipping on contact, is there enough information to solve the problem? I doubt it.

haruspex said:
I see no reason to assume that. If the normal impulse is J, the frictional impulse due to static friction is up to ##\mu_sJ##. If that is enough to provide the vertical velocity consistent with the angular momentum conservation then no slipping.
If we do allow slipping on contact, is there enough information to solve the problem? I doubt it.
Have you solved the problem? Have you got one of the given values?

ehild said:
Have you solved the problem? Have you got one of the given values?
Yes.

Well, you are right, angular momentum is conserved with respect to the contact point at the wall. The result is the same obtained with my method.

Likes mooncrater
Ok now it's clear to me. Thanks haruspex and ehild. :).

Related to Angular Momentum Conservation in Impulsive Blow: Rolling and Climbing Cylinder

1. What is a rolling and climbing cylinder?

A rolling and climbing cylinder is a type of mechanical system that is composed of a cylindrical body with a rolling motion and a set of legs that allow it to climb over obstacles.

2. How does a rolling and climbing cylinder move?

A rolling and climbing cylinder moves by using a combination of rolling and climbing motions. The cylindrical body rolls along a surface, while the legs extend and retract to allow the cylinder to climb over obstacles.

3. What are the applications of a rolling and climbing cylinder?

A rolling and climbing cylinder has various applications in fields such as robotics, space exploration, and industrial automation. It can be used to navigate challenging terrains, perform tasks in hazardous environments, and access hard-to-reach places.

4. What are the advantages of using a rolling and climbing cylinder?

The main advantage of a rolling and climbing cylinder is its ability to move over uneven and complex surfaces. It also has a compact design and can navigate through tight spaces, making it useful in confined environments. Additionally, it requires minimal energy to operate and can be controlled remotely.

5. Are there any limitations of a rolling and climbing cylinder?

One limitation of a rolling and climbing cylinder is its dependence on a surface to roll on. If the surface is too rough or uneven, the cylinder may not be able to move effectively. It also requires a power source to operate, which may limit its use in remote or inaccessible areas.