Angular Momentum Problem: Rotation Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the rotation rate using the equation L=rotation rate*I. The first step is to calculate the moment of inertia by multiplying the mass and distance squared, which results in a value of 125.046. Then, using the equation, the rotation rate is calculated to be 30.173. However, the expected answer is 21.263. To find the correct answer, the distances from the rotation axis must be calculated using the pythagorean theorem.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
L=rotation rate*I
First I found the moment of inertia,

I=1.8(5.5^2+3.9^2+4.9^2)

=125.046

Then I tried to find the rotation rate using the equation L=rotation rate*I

rotation rate=3773/125.046=30.173

But the answer is suppose to be 21.263?

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 93
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
First I found the moment of inertia,

I=1.8(5.5^2+3.9^2+4.9^2)
No. The rotation is about the z (k) axis. What are the distances from that axis?

haruspex said:
No. The rotation is about the z (k) axis. What are the distances from that axis?

Doesn't k hat represent how far something is from the z axis?

JoeyBob said:
Doesn't k hat represent how far something is from the z axis?
No, it is how far it is along the z axis. And you mean the coefficient of ##\hat k##. ##\hat k## is the direction of the z axis.

Likes Steve4Physics and JoeyBob
You have to use pythagorean theorem on the i and j coordinates to find the distance from the z-axis.

Likes JoeyBob
haruspex said:
No, it is how far it is along the z axis. And you mean the coefficient of ##\hat k##. ##\hat k## is the direction of the z axis.
Delta2 said:
You have to use pythagorean theorem on the i and j coordinates to find the distance from the z-axis.
Yes.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, determined by its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is specific to an object's rotation, while linear momentum is specific to an object's linear motion.

3. What is the angular momentum problem?

The angular momentum problem refers to the difficulty in predicting the rotation rate of an object when external forces are applied to it.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant.

5. How is angular momentum used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to understand the behavior of rotating objects, such as planets, satellites, and gyroscopes, and to design machines and structures that involve rotational motion.