How Is Overlap Length x Determined for No Rotational Motion After Collision?

In summary, the problem involves a collision between two identical sticks on a frictionless horizontal table, with one stick initially spinning around a pivot at one end. The goal is to find the overlap length x that would result in the double-stick system having translational but no rotational motion after the collision. Using conservation of linear and angular momentum, it is determined that x should be equal to 2/3 of the length of the stick. No further calculations using conservation of linear momentum were necessary.
conana

Homework Statement

On a frictionless horizontal table, a stick of mass m and length l spins around a pivot at one of its ends with angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex]. It collides and sticks to an identical stick (which is presumably stationary), with an overlap length equal to x. Immediately before the collision, the pivot is removed. What should x be so that after the collision the double-stick system has translational but no rotational motion?

The Attempt at a Solution

From the diagram provided, it appears that the collision is inelastic so I am pretty sure I can not use conservation of energy. I guess my approach would be to use conservation of angular momentum and possibly linear momentum as well. I am pretty lost as to how to get started. I tried writing out an expression for my angular momentum but I am not sure what to use as my origin and how to find the angular momentum after the collision.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the sticks stick together? (All puns intended.) I'll assume they do, because I don't think the problem is solvable otherwise.

You're right that you need both the conservation of linear momentum and the conservation of angular momentum. Since the sticks must move in the same direction, you know that their final momentum, 2mv, must be equal to the initial momentum of the moving stick.

For angular momentum, you can use any origin you want. I'd pick the middle of the overlap of the 2 sticks because that simplifies calculations quite a bit--final angular momentum ends up being 0 being the two-rod combination's center of mass moves directly away from the origin. Initial angular momentum is pretty easy to calculate.

For linear momentum I get

[tex]p_i=p_f[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow mv_i=2mv_f[/tex].

[tex]\Rightarrow \dfrac{1}{2}ml\omega=2mv_f[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow v_f=\dfrac{1}{4}l\omega[/tex].

Then for the angular momentum, using the middle of the overlap of the two sticks as my origin, I get

[tex]L_i=L_f[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow mv_ir-I\omega=0[/tex]

(Initially I typed this out as a sum of two Ls instead of a difference which gave me a nonsensical answer x>l. I now believe it to be a difference because the CM of the stick is rotating in one direction about the origin while the stick is rotating in the opposite direction about its center of mass. Is this logic correct?)

where the distance from the origin to the CM of the rotating stick [tex]r=\dfrac{l-x}{2}[/tex] and the moment of inertia of the stick about its CM [tex]I=\dfrac{1}{12}ml^2[/tex]. Then

[tex]ml\omega\dfrac{l-x}{4}-\dfrac{1}{12}ml^2\omega=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x=\dfrac{2}{3}l[/tex].

Is this looking to be on the right track? Also, (assuming this is correct) it appears as though I didn't end up needing to use conservation of linear momentum, just my initial linear momentum. Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that describes the amount of rotational energy it possesses. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distribution of an object's mass as it rotates.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object rotates). The equation for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What is the Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum?

The Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum will remain constant. This means that if no external torque is applied, the angular momentum of the system will remain the same.

4. How does Angular Momentum relate to everyday objects?

Angular momentum is present in all rotating objects, from the spinning of a top to the rotation of planets around the sun. It is also present in non-rotating objects when they are moving in a curved path, such as a car turning a corner or a rollercoaster going around a loop.

5. What are some real-world applications of Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is used in many practical applications, such as designing satellites and spacecraft, calculating the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and understanding the movement of molecules in chemistry and biology. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where angular momentum plays a role in the execution of certain movements and tricks.