Angular Momentum: Formula Comparison & Usage

In summary, there are two formulas for finding angular momentum: L = r x p and L = Iw. The first formula is used for point particles rotating about a point, while the second is used for objects rotating about a fixed axis. If the object is a rod rotating about one of its ends, the formula to use is L = Iw, but be sure to use the moment of inertia about that specific axis.
grief
I have two formulas to find angular momentum, and I am not sure when to use one and when to use the other, or what the difference is between the two. One is L = r x p, and the other is L=Iw.

Physics news on Phys.org
The former is used for a the angular momentum of point particle about some point, while the latter is used for the angular momentum of an object rotating about a fixed axis.

Last edited:
ok, I understand now. Thanks

so, if it's a rod, for example, rotating about one of its ends, I should use L=Iw?

Given that a rod is not a point particle, yes.

Just be careful to note that the moment of inertia (I) you are using is for that object about the given axis.

FAQ: Angular Momentum: Formula Comparison & Usage

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotation of an object around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is conserved in a closed system.

2. What is the formula for calculating Angular Momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. How is Angular Momentum different from Linear Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of linear motion. Angular momentum depends on an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while linear momentum depends on an object's mass and linear velocity.

4. What are some common uses of Angular Momentum in the field of physics?

Angular momentum is used to explain the behavior of objects in rotational motion, such as spinning tops, planets orbiting around a star, and the motion of electrons in atoms. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and in the design of rotating machinery.

5. How is Angular Momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if one object's angular momentum increases, another object's must decrease by an equal amount. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum and is a fundamental principle in physics.

Back