Are There Affordable Devices to Block Sound Waves in My House?

• Construction
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
In summary, people in my area are so loud that it's difficult to have a conversation without yelling. Some people have tried to block the sound with things like walls or earplugs, but those solutions are not always permanent. One option is to buy a noise cancelling device, but they can be expensive. Another solution is to buy a tall fence or hedge to screen the noise.
kent davidge
Does anyone know if there are good devices that block sound waves or if it's difficult to build one?

People in my area are so lould. They use to have parties in their camp houses and so on

Me and my neighbours are afraid of calling the police because police will ask them to turn down the sound, but will also set for both the caller and the accused to be face-to-face in court and they could become angry and damage our properties or even ourselves.

So I'm thinking of blocking my house from sound. I know one way involves building the walls with sound proof material, but I can't do that, because I cannot bring the walls down and build new ones.

SO I was thinking more of a device which could be installed on the windows.

Perhaps some equipment producing waves that would match those waves coming in and thus cancelling the sound.

If getting such thing is expensive, I would install it at least on the bedrooms.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
For a soundproof window you need three-fold glass. I assume that's still cheaper than to bring in a device which cancels sound waves. I know that there have been experiments with such devices, but I've forgotten the conditions. Another (cheap) solution could be to cover the windows with foam, best on the outside before the glass gets the chance to vibrate, but maybe it also helps a bit on the inside. Rooms which are built to swallow sound are usually covered with foams cut in a way which reflects sound in all directions: some kind of random pyramids. For a test, I would try to cover the windows with those cheap cardboard they use to transport eggs - again best on the outside.

Of course this always assumes, that the windows are the weak point. But wooden walls without an appropriate filling can be as vulnerable. In any case I would try some of those cheap measures mentioned, before I'd tackle complicated solutions.

Edit: "For a soundproof window you need three-fold glass."
That means three window glasses with two chambers in between, which nowadays are filled with a noble gas instead of just air.

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge
Thanks. This helped. I will look for each of the suggested solutions and see which one fits better.

I've lived in houses with good and bad/noisy neighbors, and in apartments with the same. I've learned over the years that it's usually best not to confront the neighbors over the noise, or to call in the cavalry (the police) unless there is violence or something else very serious going on.

At the apartment where my wife and I live now, closing the patio door and the windows usually knocks down the noise pretty well (this is harder on hot nights, when ventilation is needed). I use earplugs to sleep if one of my neighbors is having a party, and just take the earplugs out after the party is over if I need to hear my alarm to wake up in the morning in time to make it to a work shift. If the problem happens a lot while you are still awake and wanting to watch TV or listen to your phone or laptop, consider noise-cancelling headphones.

And make it a life goal to do well enough and earn enough money at your work to be able to buy a house in a spread-out neighborhood where there could be less noise. Although I have friends who live on an acre or more, and the noise from the neighbor's barking dogs and farm animals is still problematic. Sigh.

Likes kent davidge
A tall fence or hedge is commonly used by housing developments to screen road noise from the houses. That is less ugly than covering your house with foam.

Likes kent davidge
anorlunda said:
A tall fence or hedge is commonly used by housing developments to screen road noise from the houses. That is less ugly than covering your house with foam.
Yes, and a hedge is better than a fence. But both would have to be rather high. My guess would be at least three meters, because the source of the noise is already at some height as well and you have to deflect it over your roof.

Likes kent davidge
berkeman said:
And make it a life goal to do well enough and earn enough money at your work to be able to buy a house in a spread-out neighborhood where there could be less noise
Yea, I will
berkeman said:
I've learned over the years that it's usually best not to confront the neighbors over the noise, or to call in the cavalry (the police) unless there is violence or something else very serious going on
Why do you say that. Is it for the same reason I mentioned in the opening post?

I've found it is best to get the police involved because if they retaliate you call again then if they retaliate again you call and eventually the punishment will become enough to make them stop or force them to move, but if you are worried they may do physical harm then its not necessarily a good idea to call unless you have proof there is a danger. Plus if their is a danger chances are they have a criminal record that will worsen their punishment

As for soundproofing you could try using mattresses to block sound, you can get them on the side of the street or scrapyards or even mattress dealers. I would suggest getting it from dealers since they may be dirty otherwise.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
Me and my neighbours are afraid of calling the police because police will ask them to turn down the sound, but will also set for both the caller and the accused to be face-to-face in court and they could become angry and damage our properties or even ourselves.
kent davidge said:
Why do you say that. Is it for the same reason I mentioned in the opening post?
Sort of. Usually they will be intoxicated while making the noise (like having a party), so trying to talk with them rationally usually does not work. Calling the police may work, but noisy parties are low-priority calls where I live, so it can take an hour or more for them to respond. If you live in an apartment complex with Security on-call, that is a better option, but it can still take a long time for them to respond.

Likes kent davidge
1-soundproof-apartment-walls.jpg

You might do interior things like above that would make your house like a dark hermit's cave.

If you do exterior things like covering your windows with foam, it might violate local laws or homeowners rules.

You are also entitled to enjoy your yard, patio, or deck, and house soundproofing does nothing about that.

Tall fences/hedges may or may not be practical where you live.

Repeated calls to the police might create warfare with your neighbors. But you owe it to yourself to first try assertiveness before engineering solutions. Talk to your noisy neighbors and explain how the noise affects you. Discuss the problem publicly and politely on your neighborhood web forum or Facebook group. If that doesn't work, then a one-time call to police may help.

If all those fail, then I would consider moving before installing bizarre soundproofing that could make future resale of my house impossible. Living in a place where your social relationship with neighbors is open and friendly is important to your own well being.

Edit: I see @berkeman and I were thinking alike.

Attachments

• 1-soundproof-apartment-walls.jpg
    1-soundproof-apartment-walls.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 748
Likes kent davidge
anorlunda said:
If all those fail, then I would consider moving before installing bizarre soundproofing that could make future resale of my house impossible. Living in a place where your social relationship with neighbors is open and friendly is important to your own well being.

If he does not wish to move then he should use indoor removable soundproofing so that resale is unaffected no matter how bizarre, such as mattresses or online soundproof sheets (I cannot remember their actual name).

Also if you do call the police add a hidden camera (could simply be a cell phone such as an old one) and then you can record any retaliation. Certain thrift stores such as Goodwill stockpile a lot of old phones many of which are unsellable and they may be willing to give you some. I happen to work there and they are unlikely to give you any even if you explain why you want some

Likes kent davidge

What is soundproofing and how does it work?

Soundproofing is a method of reducing or eliminating the transmission of sound from one area to another. It works by using materials that absorb, block, or reflect sound waves to prevent them from passing through walls, floors, or ceilings.

What are the benefits of soundproofing my house?

The main benefit of soundproofing is the reduction of noise from outside sources, such as traffic or noisy neighbors. It can also improve the acoustics within your home, making it more comfortable and peaceful. Additionally, soundproofing can increase the privacy of your home by preventing sound from traveling between rooms.

What are the different methods of soundproofing?

There are several methods of soundproofing, including adding insulation to walls and ceilings, using soundproofing materials such as acoustic panels or foam, sealing gaps and cracks, and installing soundproof windows and doors. The specific method that will work best for your home depends on the source and type of noise you are trying to block.

How effective is soundproofing at reducing noise?

The effectiveness of soundproofing depends on the materials and methods used, as well as the source and intensity of the noise. In general, soundproofing can significantly reduce noise levels, but it may not eliminate all sound. It is important to consult with a professional and choose the right materials for your specific needs.

Is soundproofing a DIY project or do I need professional help?

This depends on the extent of the soundproofing and your level of expertise. While simple methods like sealing gaps and cracks can be done by homeowners, more complex projects may require professional help. It is best to consult with a soundproofing expert to determine the best approach for your home.