Area of a cylinder inside a sphere (surface integral)

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a cylinder inside a sphere using a method that calculates the angle of the area element to the plane and integrating over the projection onto the plane. The resulting integral can be solved using a trig substitution, but it leads to a complex expression that may require parameterization to simplify.
bawbag

Homework Statement

Find the area of the cylinder [itex]x^2 + y^2 -y = 0[/itex] inside the sphere [itex]x^2 + y^2 +z^2 =1[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] dA = sec \gamma dydz [/itex] where [tex]sec \gamma = \frac{|\nabla \phi|}{|\partial \phi/ \partial x|}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The method shown in this section is to calculate the angle of the area element to the plane ([itex]\gamma[/itex]) and integrate over the area of the projection onto the plane, in this case the y-z plane. The final answer will need to be multiplied by 2 to get the total area for both sides of the plane.

In the above equation for [itex]sec \gamma[/itex], phi is the given expression for the cylinder. Evaluating gives [tex]sec \gamma = \frac {\sqrt{(2x)^2 + (2y-1)^2}}{2x}[/tex] [tex]= \frac{\sqrt{4x^2 + 4y^2 -4y +1}}{2x} = \frac{\sqrt{4(x^2 + y^2 - y) +1}}{2x} = \frac{1}{2x}[/tex][tex]= \frac{1}{2\sqrt{y-y^2}}[/tex]
Completing the square
[itex] = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{(y-\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}}}[/itex]

So the integral becomes [itex]\int^{1}_{z=-1} \int^{\sqrt{1-z^2}}_{y=0}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{(y-\frac{1}{2})^2 -\frac{1}{4}}}[/itex]

Now to integrate this expression I used a trig substitution [itex] (y-\frac{1}{2}) = \frac{1}{2}sec \theta[/itex] but this leads to a big dirty expression inside a natural logarithm that I have no idea how to integrate for the second part. I figure I'm missing something fundamental since the answer is simply 4.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I noticed a thread on a topic very similar to this that was resolved using parameterization of the cylinder, but since I haven't covered this in the textbook, and the given method makes no mention of it, I'd like to solve it without using parameterizations if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just occurred to me that I completed the square incorrectly. So please ignore that part :D.

Also, I feel like cylindrical coordinates might be helpful here, but when I change the integral, it seems to get even worse.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a cylinder inside a sphere?

The formula for finding the area of a cylinder inside a sphere is 2πrh, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How is the surface integral used to calculate the area of a cylinder inside a sphere?

The surface integral is used to calculate the area of a cylinder inside a sphere by integrating the function representing the surface of the cylinder over the surface of the sphere.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of the cylinder and the radius of the sphere when calculating the area?

The radius of the cylinder must be less than or equal to half the radius of the sphere in order for the cylinder to fit inside the sphere.

4. Can the area of a cylinder inside a sphere be greater than the surface area of the sphere?

No, the area of a cylinder inside a sphere cannot be greater than the surface area of the sphere. The area of the cylinder is limited by the surface area of the sphere it is contained within.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the area of a cylinder inside a sphere?

Yes, calculating the area of a cylinder inside a sphere can be useful in many engineering and design applications, such as finding the surface area of a rocket or determining the capacity of a spherical tank.