Area under Integral Calculation

In summary, the area between the curve y=e^{-x} and the straight line y=0 is -e^{-x}+\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|dx=-e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|+\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}\left|cosx\right|dx.
azatkgz
This question is quite hard for me.

Homework Statement

Find the area between the curve [tex]y=e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|[/tex] and the straight line y=0 for [tex]x\geq 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|dx=-e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|+\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}\left|cosx\right|dx[/tex]
[tex]=-e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|-e^{-x}\left|cosx\right|-\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|dx=\frac{-e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|-e^{-x}\left|cosx\right|}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Because sine and cosine cross the x-axis, you can't just take the absolute value thorough the integral like that.

Than ,actually, i should divide it to pieces.
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}\left|sinx\right|dx=\int_{0}^{\pi}e^{-x}sinxdx+\int_{\pi}^{2\pi}e^{-x}(-sinx)dx+\cdots[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(-1)^k\int_{k\pi}^{(k+1)\pi}e^{-x}sinxdx[/tex]

Last edited:
Is it equals to
[tex](-1)^k\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-k\pi}}{2}[/tex] ?

Oh,sorry
[tex]\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(-1)^ke^{-k\pi}[/tex]

from this one I've found [tex]\frac{(1-e^{-\pi})}{2(1+e^{-\pi})}[/tex]

Is this answer true?Please,check.

Posts 3 and 5 are definitely correct, though either you or I have made a sign error on the sum of the geometric series, check that again just to be safe.

I did it in this way
[tex]\frac{1}{2}-\frac{e^{-\pi}}{1-e^{-2\pi}}+\frac{e^{-2\pi}}{1-e^{-2\pi}}[/tex]

Your last post makes no sense to me :( Maybe I'm doing the mistake, so here's how I'm getting it

[tex]\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(-1)^ke^{-k\pi} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{-e^{-\pi}}{1+e^{-\pi}} = \frac{1-3e^{-\pi}}{2(1-e^{-\pi})}[/tex]

Hey,Gib Z
Should't be your answer be same as mine.

lol well i don't know if your making the mistake or me, but i can't see mine, so unless u do, check ur answer again

What is the area under a curve?

The area under a curve is the total space between the curve and the horizontal axis on a graph. It is calculated by finding the integral of the function that defines the curve.

Why is calculating the area under a curve important?

Calculating the area under a curve is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to determine important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, work, and profit.

What is the process for finding the area under a curve?

The process for finding the area under a curve involves breaking the curve into small, manageable sections and calculating the area of each section. The sum of these areas gives an estimate of the total area under the curve. This process can be made more accurate by using more sections and taking the limit as the width of each section approaches zero.

Can the area under a curve be negative?

Yes, the area under a curve can be negative. If the curve is below the horizontal axis, the area under the curve will be negative. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values or when the curve crosses the horizontal axis multiple times.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the area under a curve?

Calculating the area under a curve has many real-world applications, such as determining the amount of medicine in a patient's bloodstream over time, calculating the work done by a force on an object, and finding the profit of a business over time. It is also used in fields such as statistics, where it is used to calculate probabilities and determine the area under a normal distribution curve.