Acetylsalicylic Acid Titration Lab: Calculating Mass and Moles of Aspirin

In summary, the conversation is about a titration experiment involving aspirin tablets, NaOH, and HCl. The concentration of NaOH used is 0.104M, while the mass of Aspirin #1 is 0.367g and the mass of Aspirin #2 is 0.365g. The volume of NaOH used for each tablet is 50ml. In Trial 1, the mass of Na2CO3 is 0.065g, the initial volume of HCl is 18.80mL, and the final volume is 29.50mL. In Trial 2, the mass of Na2CO3 is 0.100g, the initial volume is
afors
Really struggling with this!
Here is the data:
Concentration of NaOH: .104M

Mass of Aspirin #1: .367g

Mass of Aspirin #2: .365g

Volume of NaOH mixed with Tablet 1: 50ml

Volume of NaOH mixed with Tablet 2: 50 ml

Trial 1

Mass of Na2CO3: .065g

Initial volume of HCl: 18.80mL

Final Volume: 29.50 mL

Trial 2

Mass of Na2CO3: .100g

Initial Volume: 29.50mL

Final Volume: 39.40mL

Titration procedure:

1.) refill the burette with the HCl solution

2.) add a few drops of phenol red to the flasks with aspirin.

3.) titrate your aspirin in the flasks with the HCl solution.

Titration for trial #1 initial V: 2.80mL

Titration for trial #1 final V: 18.40mL

Titration for trial #2 initial V: 18.40mL

Titration for trial #2 final V: 33.65mL

Concentration of HCl for T1: .112M

concentration of HCl for T2: .189M

Average: .150M

1. Using your data, calculate the moles and mass of acetylsalicylic acid in each tablet.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is us rather who need help with this problem set out without any narrative.

I'm guessing that one or more HCl Solutions were first standardised by titrating against Na2CO3 solutions
This is a fairly elementary and almost starting point in volumetric analysis, I presume you can calculate the concentrations of these HCl solution(s).

. Harder to see the sense of the rest of the problem.

Aspirin is acetyl salicylate. I can justify dissolving it in NaOH, because concentration would be about twice the solubility in water of acetyl salicylate.

Save error on my part the molarity of the NaOH is about 20 times that of the aspirin, which would limit the accuracy of any titration, but you could still get a moderately accurate estimation.

It took me a little time to puzzle out. I don't think I have ever come across a titration using this principle.

What I think they are doing is: the OH- is subtracting protons from the acetyl salicylate:

Hacsal + OH- → acsal- + H2O

Or if you like the acetyl salicylateIs subtracting OH- from the solution, leaving less OH- than there initially were in the NaOH.

When you then titrate this mixture with HCl, you titrate only these leftover OH- and not those that have been subtracted by the acetyl salicylate - because the phenolpthalein changes colour by the time you have descended to pH 8, but at that pH salicylate is still in the form acsal- (its pKa is about 3.5). Hope that helps

Last edited:
However I am not convinced that to titrate aspirin it is necessary to do it this way.

Even if the acid is not completely soluble, as you add NaOH it should dissolve, and should all have dissolved as you reach the colour change end point. You might have to wait a little if these are actually aspirin pills.

Could you reproduce the original question verbatim?

1. What is the purpose of the Acetylsalicylic Acid Titration Lab?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the mass and number of moles of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) in a given sample through titration with a strong base.

2. How is the mass of aspirin calculated in this lab?

The mass of aspirin is calculated by measuring the volume of base needed to neutralize the acid in the aspirin sample, and using this value in a mathematical formula to determine the mass of aspirin present.

3. What is the importance of calculating the number of moles of aspirin?

Calculating the number of moles of aspirin allows for a more accurate measurement of the amount of aspirin present in a given sample. This information can be used to determine the purity and concentration of the sample, as well as to compare it with the expected amount of aspirin based on the initial mass of the sample.

4. How does titration help in this lab?

Titration is the process of adding a known amount of a solution to another solution until a specific reaction is complete. In this lab, titration is used to determine the volume of base needed to neutralize the acid in the aspirin sample. This volume is then used to calculate the mass and number of moles of aspirin present in the sample.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the results in this lab?

The accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as human error in measuring and recording data, impurities in the reagents or sample, and the presence of other substances that may interfere with the titration reaction. It is important to carefully follow the lab procedure and use high-quality reagents to minimize these potential sources of error.