What mistake did the author make in their Atwood machine problem?

In summary, the problem involves finding the relationship between the accelerations of two masses attached to a pulley system. The key is to assume that both masses move down and use the fact that the lengths of the strings are constant to find the accelerations. The final solution shows that the acceleration of one mass is twice the acceleration of the other, in opposite directions.
coppersauce

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a2fLm

Homework Equations

F = ma is it

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I had is that it's attached to the floor all of a sudden. Never before have we had Atwood problems like this, and I can't find any online... I drew out the free body diagram but probably screwed up somewhere because of it. I know my answer is wrong.

I had T1-mg = ma1
and T2-Mg=Ma2

***I said if m goes down 1, pulley goes up a 1/2, and M goes up 1/4 (this is where I screwed up I think...)***
And thus a1 = -4a2

T1 - mg = m(-4a2)

And the appropriate work ended me with a solution of 2g/3 (which is wrong I'm 99% sure of).

So I need help knowing what I did wrong in the stars (presumably I think this is my mistake, as I have never done it with a floor and was very lost...)

Physics news on Phys.org
The real problem here is to find how accelerations of the masses relate to each other. Here's a nice trick.

First we assume that the positive direction of everything we consider points down. So, we assume that both masses move down (which is obviously wrong, but you'll see why we do so).

Let

[tex]x_{m}[/tex] be the distance from center of the top pulley to the mass m,

[tex]x_{M}[/tex] the distance from the center of the top pulley to the mass M,

[tex]h[/tex] the distance from the top pulley to the ground and

[tex]x[/tex] distance from the top pulley to the center of the bottom pulley.

We know that acceleration is second derivative of position with respect to time.

The main assumption is that the lengths of the strings are constant. So, for the length of the string attached to mass m we get

[tex]L_{m}=x_{m}+x[/tex]

Now, if we apply second derivative we get accelerations.

[tex]0=a_{m}+a \Rightarrow a_{m}=-a[/tex]

Notice that the derivative of constant [tex]L_{m}[/tex] is zero and accelerations of the mass m and the bottom pulley are in opposite directions and same magnitude.

Now, for the other string

[tex]L_{M}=(h-x)+(x_{M}-x)[/tex]

[tex]0=0-2a+a_{M} \Rightarrow a_{M}=2a \Rightarrow a_{M}=-2a_{m}[/tex]

All constants become zero again and finally we see that acceleration of the mass M is twice the acceleration of the mass m and they point in opposite directions.

Using this and force diagrams should lead you to the right answer.

1. What is an Atwood Machine diagram?

An Atwood Machine diagram is a visual representation of a simple machine used to study the principles of motion and forces. It consists of two masses connected by a pulley and a string, with one mass hanging off one side of the pulley and the other mass hanging off the other side.

2. How does an Atwood Machine work?

The Atwood Machine works by demonstrating the principle of balanced and unbalanced forces. The two masses on either side of the pulley experience different forces due to their different weights, and these forces are balanced when the masses are in equilibrium.

3. What is the purpose of an Atwood Machine diagram?

The purpose of an Atwood Machine diagram is to help scientists and students understand the relationship between forces, masses, and motion. By manipulating the masses and observing their movements, it is possible to study the effects of different forces on an object.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of an Atwood Machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood Machine can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this case, the net force is the difference between the weights of the two masses, and the mass is the sum of the two masses.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Atwood Machine?

The Atwood Machine has many practical applications, such as in elevators and cranes, where it is used to lift heavy objects. It is also used in physics and engineering classrooms to teach students about forces and motion. Additionally, it is used in laboratory experiments to study the effects of gravity and other forces on objects.