Atwood's Machine Lab Help (proportional error)

In summary, the conversation is about a lab where the person is stuck on proportional error in multiple variables. They want to learn how to calculate all the variables and are looking for someone to explain the formula needed to get the proportional error.
atir.besho
I have attached the lab

right now I am stuck on proportional error in multiple variables

I want to take the lab step by step so i can learn how to do calculate all the variables from now on.

I have lab partners during the lab but I am completely clueless when I am working on it on my own.

Can someone just explain the formula needed to get the proportional error please?
I know I need 1 gram as uncertainty.

Attachments

• lab 2 pg 1.jpg
    lab 2 pg 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,897
Physics news on Phys.org
For independent measurements ##x\pm\sigma_x## and ##y\pm\sigma_y##, the proportional errors are given by:$$p_x=\frac{\sigma_x}{x}, p_y=\frac{\sigma_y}{y}\\
z=xy\implies p^2_z=p_x^2+p_y^2$$

What is an Atwood's machine?

An Atwood's machine is a simple physics apparatus used to demonstrate the principles of motion and gravity. It consists of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. The heavier mass will accelerate towards the ground while the lighter mass accelerates away from the ground, creating a net force and motion.

What is proportional error in an Atwood's machine lab?

Proportional error in an Atwood's machine lab refers to the error that occurs due to variations in the masses used. This error is proportional to the difference in the masses and can affect the accuracy of the results obtained from the experiment.

How is proportional error calculated in an Atwood's machine lab?

To calculate proportional error in an Atwood's machine lab, the difference in the measured masses is divided by the average of the measured masses. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage value. The higher the percentage, the larger the proportional error in the experiment.

How can proportional error be reduced in an Atwood's machine lab?

Proportional error can be reduced in an Atwood's machine lab by using masses with smaller differences, taking multiple measurements and averaging them, and ensuring that the string is taut and the pulley is free from friction. Using a more precise measuring instrument can also help reduce proportional error.

What are some sources of error in an Atwood's machine lab?

Some sources of error in an Atwood's machine lab include air resistance, friction in the pulley and string, variations in the masses used, and human error in taking measurements. These sources of error can contribute to proportional error and affect the accuracy of the results obtained from the experiment.