Atwood's Machine Acceleration Rate and Maximum Value

• Thread starter arenzob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the problem involves two containers connected by a cord over a frictionless pulley, with one container losing mass at a constant rate due to a leak. The acceleration magnitude of the containers is changing, and the problem asks for the rates of change at two specific times and when the acceleration reaches its maximum value. The solution involves using the equations for tension and acceleration, and finding the derivative of the acceleration with respect to time. The final answers are 0.653 m/s^3 and 0.896 m/s^3 for the rates of change, and 6.5 seconds for the maximum acceleration.
arenzob

Homework Statement

Two containers are connected by a cord (of negligible mass) passing over a frictionless pulley (also of negligible mass). At time t = 0 container 1 has mass 1.3 kg and container 2 has mass 2.8 kg, but container 1 is losing mass (through a leak) at the constant rate of 0.200 kg/s. At what rate is the acceleration magnitude of the containers changing at (a)t = 0 and (b)t = 3 s? (c) When does the acceleration reach its maximum value?

Homework Equations

T - m1 g= m1 a
T - m2 g= -m2 a
a= m2 - m1 g/ m2 + m1

3. Attempt to solve the problem:

I have been trying to solve this problem, but I can get the same answer as the book.
The answer in the the book is:
a)0.653m/s3
b)0.896m/s3
c)6.50s

a=[m2-m1/m2+m1]g
da/dt = -[(2.8-m1)/(2.8+m1)^2](dm1/dt)g
after this, i don't know what to do anymore. Am i doing it right?Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show (at least) one of your attempts.

arenzob said:
a=[m2-m1/m2+m1]g
da/dt = -[(2.8-m1)/(2.8+m1)^2](dm1/dt)g
after this, i don't know what to do anymore. Am i doing it right?
I don't think that the derivative of the acceleration is going to help you. Look instead to create an expression for the mass of M1 with respect to time to use in the acceleration equation.

I have solved my problem.
All I did was that:
da/dt = da/dm1 ⋅ dm1/dt = [(m2+m1)(-1)-(m2-m1)(1)]/(m2+m1)2 ⋅ dm1/dt
da/dt = g [-2m2/(m2+m1)2] ⋅ dm/dt
da/dt = (-3.92)[m2/(m2+m1)^2]
a) at t=0; m1= 1.3
da/dt= 0.653 m/s^3
b) at t=3; m1=1.3-0.2(3)=0.7
da/dt= 0.896 m/s^3
c) if m=0; a=max
m - 0.2t =0
t=1.3/0.2
t=6.5s

1. What is Atwood's machine problem?

Atwood's machine problem is a physics problem that involves two masses connected by a string passing over a pulley. The problem requires the determination of the acceleration and tension in the string.

2. How do you solve Atwood's machine problem?

To solve Atwood's machine problem, you need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up equations for each mass and solving for the unknown variables, you can determine the acceleration and tension in the string.

3. What are the assumptions made in Atwood's machine problem?

The assumptions made in Atwood's machine problem are that the pulley is massless, the string is massless and inextensible, and there is no friction between the string and the pulley. These assumptions allow for a simplified analysis of the problem.

4. Can Atwood's machine problem be solved using different units?

Yes, Atwood's machine problem can be solved using different units as long as the units are consistent throughout the problem. For example, if the masses are given in kilograms, the acceleration should be calculated in meters per second squared.

5. What real-life applications does Atwood's machine problem have?

Atwood's machine problem has various real-life applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and balance scales. It also serves as a basis for understanding more complex systems involving pulleys and strings, such as in mechanics and engineering.