1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average force of a bullet

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    Ok, I'm using Schaum's Outline of College Physics to supplement my ultra condensed correspondance physics course. As I work through the "Supplementary Problems" I've come across this one which leaves me puzzled.

Typically a bullet leaves a standard 45 caliber pistol (5.0 inch barrel) at a speed of 262 m/s. If it takes 1 ms to traverse the barrel, determine the average acceleration by the 16.2 g bullet within the gun and then compute the average force exerted on it. The provided answers are: 3.0 x 10^5 m/s, 0.4 x 10 N.

I've had no problem working out the average acceleration to 2.62 x 10^5 m/s (3.0 X 10^5 m/s), but I have no idea how the book has arrived at 40 N for the average force exerted.

Does anybody care to show how this was worked out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is obviously an error in the book. With 2.62 x 10^5 m/s² (don't forget to square s) as the average acceleration, the average force, which is given by the proportionality of force and acceleration

[tex]F_{av}=ma_{av}[/tex]

turns out to be 0.43092 x 10^5 N, which would round down to 0.4 x 10^5 N. So it's probably just a printing error; they forgot the [itex]^5[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?