Band theory and Semiconductors

In summary, the conversation revolved around the comparison between chemical bonding models and band theory in explaining semiconductor physics. The question was raised as to why band theory, which is relatively more recent, was developed when the explanation based on chemical bonds seemed more intuitive. The concept of energy gaps between valence and conduction bands and its relation to the breaking of chemical bonds was also discussed. The conversation concluded with a suggestion to consider the overlap between molecular orbitals when using band theory for a more accurate energy gap calculation.
Cehem
Hello,
I just watched this video, where Dr Brattain talk about semiconductor physics and I thought about what I learned in my solid state physics course, namely band theory. I have several questions :
1)The explanation in terms of chemical bonds given by Dr Brattain (around 10mins) seems a lot more intuitive than the band theory so why did physicists developed a new model (band theory is more recent , right?). I remembered that in the law of mass-action, the constant K' isn't actually constant, it depends on the temperature to 3/2. But was it the only motivation.
2) Is the gap between valence and conduction bands the energy needed to break the chemical bonds ?

I hope it's clear, and that someone will be able to provide answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemical bonds in tetrahedral semiconductors (Si, GaN, etc.) are described by forming bonding (and anti-bonding) molecular orbitals from the sp^3 site orbitals. From this point of view you have two electrons in each sigma bond, and there are many, many degenerate sigma bonds in the crystal (2N for N atoms). Promoting an electron in this picture would require taking it directly into an anti-bonding orbital. In reality, there is some overlap between neighboring sigma bonding orbitals, which gives the electrons an opportunity to hop from site to site and therefore have some kinetic energy. Thus the 2N energy levels become split depending on how much kinetic energy the electron has. You could say the band picture accounts for the freedom the electron has to travel through the lattice.

addendum: In semiconductors, the bonding orbitals (read: valence band) is completely filled, so you still have to promote to the anti-bonding orbitals (read: conduction band). You won't get the energy gap correct unless you spread the energy levels out by figuring out how much overlap there is between molecular orbitals and using band theory.

Last edited:

What is band theory?

Band theory is a concept in solid state physics that explains the behavior of electrons in a solid material. It describes how electrons occupy energy levels, or "bands", within the material's atomic structure.

What are semiconductors?

Semiconductors are a type of material that have electrical conductivity between that of a conductor (e.g. metals) and an insulator (e.g. non-metals). They are important in electronics as they can be manipulated to control the flow of electricity.

How do semiconductors differ from conductors and insulators?

In conductors, electrons are able to move freely, while in insulators, electrons are tightly bound to atoms and cannot move easily. In semiconductors, electrons can move between energy levels, but not as easily as in conductors.

What is the band gap in semiconductors?

The band gap is the energy difference between the highest occupied band and the lowest unoccupied band in a semiconductor. This gap determines the material's conductivity and its ability to act as an insulator or conductor.

How are semiconductors used in technology?

Semiconductors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including transistors, diodes, solar cells, and integrated circuits. They are also important in the development of new technologies such as quantum computers and advanced sensors.