Basic electric circuits concept help required

In summary, the break in the circuit keeps current from flowing. If there is a break in the circuit, the wires should be neutral. But there can still be a voltage across the break.
goomer
I'm reading a tutorial about the basics of circuits and I don't understand this concept. In the three last circuit diagrams in the link located below, there is a break in each of the circuits. The ends of the breaking points are labeled + and -, but how can that be?

My thoughts:

If there is no electrical flow if there is a break in the circuit, shouldn't that mean that the wires should all be neutral?

Or, seeing as only electrons are flowing through the circuit, shouldn't both ends of the break be negative?

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_1/4.html

Physics news on Phys.org
goomer said:
I'm reading a tutorial about the basics of circuits and I don't understand this concept. In the three last circuit diagrams in the link located below, there is a break in each of the circuits. The ends of the breaking points are labeled + and -, but how can that be?

My thoughts:

If there is no electrical flow if there is a break in the circuit, shouldn't that mean that the wires should all be neutral?

Or, seeing as only electrons are flowing through the circuit, shouldn't both ends of the break be negative?

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_1/4.html

A break in the circuit keeps current from flowing. But there can still be a voltage across the break. Think of a battery just sitting on the table in front of you. There is no external connection between the + and - ends, so no current flows. But there is still a voltage between the + and - ends, right?

I see...so when the circuit is broken, you can think of the two individual sections of wires as extensions of the battery?

Also, is there no flow because nothing is going through the wire at all, or is it because there is an electron build up in the wire?

goomer said:
I see...so when the circuit is broken, you can think of the two individual sections of wires as extensions of the battery?
Exactly

goomer said:
Also, is there no flow because nothing is going through the wire at all, or is it because there is an electron build up in the wire?
When you initially connect the open wires to the battery, there is a very small current that flows to "charge up" the parasitic capacitance of the wires. Once the wires are charged to the battery voltage, no more current flows if the circuit is kept open/broken.

If you like the water analogy then a broken wire is like a pipe that has been cut and the ends sealed. There is pressure (voltage) at the ends of the pipe but no flow (current).

Got it, thanks guys :)

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop or path through which electricity flows. It consists of a source of electrical energy, such as a battery, and various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and switches, that are connected together by conductive wires.

2. What is voltage?

Voltage, also known as electric potential difference, is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts and represents the amount of work required to move an electric charge from one point to another.

3. What is current?

Current is the rate at which electric charges flow through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (amps) and is represented by the symbol "I". In a closed circuit, the amount of current that flows is equal at all points along the circuit.

4. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component hinders the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and is represented by the symbol "R". Materials with high resistance, such as insulators, restrict the flow of current, while materials with low resistance, such as conductors, allow current to flow more easily.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. You can also use Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of individual resistances, and in a parallel circuit, it is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of individual resistances.