Why Must the String Be Parallel to the Surface in Friction Experiments?

In summary, the friction force needs to be parallel to the surface to prevent the object from sliding or moving, and it would change if the string were not parallel as it would affect the normal force and the opposing force necessary for sideways acceleration.
munchy35

Homework Statement

Alright, I understand that friction needs to be parallel to the surface, but I'm confused on why.

So if a string is attached to a block that connects to hanging masses in a lab, and you're pulling the block to measure the friction force, why does it have to be parallel to the surface?

and would the frictional force change if the string were not parallel?

Homework Equations

no equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it has to be parallel so the object does not slide or move? and the frictional force would change it the string were not parallel i just don't know why... maybe it would cause the force needed to pull the block to increase? I'm confused on this concept.
help?

Physics news on Phys.org
munchy35 said:

Homework Statement

Alright, I understand that friction needs to be parallel to the surface, but I'm confused on why.

So if a string is attached to a block that connects to hanging masses in a lab, and you're pulling the block to measure the friction force, why does it have to be parallel to the surface?

and would the frictional force change if the string were not parallel?

Homework Equations

no equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it has to be parallel so the object does not slide or move? and the frictional force would change it the string were not parallel i just don't know why... maybe it would cause the force needed to pull the block to increase? I'm confused on this concept.
help?

When you pull the block with a string like that, the vertical component of the force from the string on the block serves to lighten the block (lower its normal force on the surface), and the horizontal component of the string force is what opposes the frictional force, and provides sideways acceleration if that component is larger than mu*N.

I can provide some clarification on the concept of friction and why it is important for the string to be parallel to the surface in this scenario. Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. In order for an object to move, the force applied to it must overcome the force of friction.

When pulling the block with a string, the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the pulling force. If the string is not parallel to the surface, the force of friction will not be acting in the direction that opposes the motion of the block. This means that the block may slide or move in a direction that is not intended, making it difficult to accurately measure the frictional force.

Additionally, the amount of frictional force depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are. If the string is not parallel to the surface, the contact area between the string and the block may change, affecting the coefficient of friction and thus the amount of frictional force.

In summary, the string must be parallel to the surface in order to accurately measure the frictional force and to ensure that the force of friction is acting in the opposite direction of the pulling force. Any deviation from this parallel alignment can affect the accuracy of the measurement. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness and irregularities of the surfaces, which create resistance when they slide or rub against each other.

2. What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on the type of surfaces, the force pressing them together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Other factors that can affect friction include temperature, speed, and the presence of lubricants.

3. What are the types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other; kinetic friction, which acts when two surfaces are moving relative to each other; and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

4. How is friction useful?

Friction is essential for many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and writing. It also plays a crucial role in industrial and mechanical processes, such as braking, gripping, and polishing. Additionally, friction helps to maintain the stability of structures and objects.

5. How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a barrier between two surfaces and reduce the roughness and contact between them. Friction can be increased by making surfaces rougher and increasing the force pressing them together, such as by adding weight or pressing harder.