Wave Basics: What Is Wave, Phase & Velocity?

In summary, a wave is a disturbance or vibration that transfers energy through a medium without the actual movement of matter. The phase of a wave refers to the position of a point on the wave at a specific time and is described in terms of degrees or radians. The velocity of a wave is affected by the properties of the medium and the frequency and wavelength of the wave, and it can be calculated by multiplying the frequency by the wavelength. There are different types of waves, such as mechanical and electromagnetic waves, which can also be categorized as transverse or longitudinal depending on their oscillation and propagation directions.
Gurasees
What is a wave, phase, phase velocity and group velocity?
I don't need the defination but understanding in such a way that i can form an image in the mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
i want to know just the basics about what is a wave, the disturbance, how it is traveling ahead. i want to form an image in my mind.

Repeating the question is not going to help.

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or vibration that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without the actual movement of matter.

2. What is the phase of a wave?

The phase of a wave refers to the position of a point on the wave at a specific time. It is described in terms of degrees or radians and represents the fraction of a complete cycle that has elapsed.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a wave?

The velocity of a wave is affected by the properties of the medium it travels through, such as density and elasticity, as well as the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. How is the velocity of a wave calculated?

The velocity of a wave can be calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. The formula is v = f x λ, where v is velocity, f is frequency, and λ is wavelength.

5. What are the different types of waves?

There are several types of waves, including mechanical waves, such as sound waves, and electromagnetic waves, such as light waves. Waves can also be categorized as transverse or longitudinal, depending on the direction of the wave's oscillation in relation to the direction of its propagation.