Calculating Bending Moments for a Round Bar: E=200x103 N/mm2, D=125mm

So, let's use your equation. M/I = E/R. Your mistake was to put I in the numerator. It should be $$M=\frac{EI}{R}$$In summary, the maximum allowable bending moment for a round bar with a diameter of 125mm and a Young's modulus of 200x103 N/mm2 is 3355582.72 Nmm, and the radius of curvature at the point of maximum bending moment is 1.4mm. In the calculations, the equations used were σ/y=m/I=E/R and I=πD4/64, where y=125/2 and the tensile strength σ=17.5 N/mm2. However, the correct equation
Confusedbiomedeng

Homework Statement

a round bar,125mm in diameter , is to be used as a beam. if youngs modulus for the material E=200x103 N/mm2
Calculate:
i)Maximum allowable bending moment(12marks)
ii)The radius of curvature at the point of maximum bending moment(8marks)

Homework Equations

σ/y=m/I=E/R
I=πD4/64[/B]
y=125/2

The Attempt at a Solution

i)17.5/62.5=M/11984224
0.28x11984224=3355582.72Nmm=M
ii)0.28/200x103=1.4mm=R

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Confusedbiomedeng said:

Homework Equations

σ/y=m/I=E/R
I=πD4/64[/B]
y=125/2

i)17.5/62.5=M/11984224
ii)0.28/200x103=1.4mm=R

Can you put some units onto your workings out? It would be easier to follow what you are doing (for us and for you).

scottdave said:
Can you put some units onto your workings out? It would be easier to follow what you are doing (for us and for you).
in the final answers i have them put in ?? should i put them in throughout the workings??

Confusedbiomedeng said:
in the final answers i have them put in ?? should i put them in throughout the workings??
It would help me to figure out what you were doing.

You left out the tensile strength in the problem statement.

Likes scottdave
Confusedbiomedeng said:
y=125/2

i)17.5/62.5=M/11984224
ii)0.28/200x103=1.4mm=R

So where did the 17.5 come from? I am guessing it is σ. It would be nice to eliminate guessing, when figuring out where you are going wrong.

scottdave said:
So where did the 17.5 come from? I am guessing it is σ. It would be nice to eliminate guessing, when figuring out where you are going wrong.
Yes it is stated in the question and I forgot to put it in so 17.5n/mm2 then y is 125/2 because everything is in mm2 so I don't need to change the diameter . I ,I worked out by ∏(1254)/64 but now I'm wondering should the equation for I be ∏(D4)/32?? So sorry for any confusion

I confirm you calculation of the bending moment, and I confirm the factor of 64 in the denominator. But the equation for the radius of curvature should be $$R=\frac{Er}{\sigma}$$where r is the radius of the bar.

Likes scottdave
Chestermiller said:
I confirm you calculation of the bending moment, and I confirm the factor of 64 in the denominator. But the equation for the radius of curvature should be $$R=\frac{Er}{\sigma}$$where r is the radius of the bar.
Ok could you just explain why that equation and not M/I =E/R? And so I have the right answer for the allowable bending moment

Confusedbiomedeng said:
Ok could you just explain why that equation and not M/I =E/R?
It's that too. I just found it easier to calculate it the other way.

1. What is the formula for calculating bending moments for a round bar?

The formula for calculating bending moments for a round bar is M = (E * I * y) / R, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and R is the radius of the bar.

2. How do you find the modulus of elasticity (E) for a round bar?

The modulus of elasticity (E) for a round bar can be found by dividing the stress by the strain. It is typically given in units of N/mm2 (newtons per square millimeter).

3. What is the moment of inertia (I) for a round bar?

The moment of inertia (I) for a round bar is a measure of its resistance to bending. It is calculated by using the formula I = (pi * D^4) / 64, where D is the diameter of the bar.

4. How do you determine the distance from the neutral axis (y) for a round bar?

The distance from the neutral axis (y) for a round bar is the distance from the center of the bar to the point where the bending moment is being calculated. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm).

5. What is the significance of calculating bending moments for a round bar?

Calculating bending moments for a round bar is important in determining the maximum stress that the bar can withstand before it will fail due to bending. This information is crucial in the design and analysis of structures and mechanical components that utilize round bars.