Best calculus-based general physics textbook?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's experience with using Serway's Physics for Engineers and Scientists textbook in their first semester of calc-based general physics. Despite the colorful pictures, the exercises were too difficult and the professor agreed that it was a bad choice. The speaker received a C due to the curve and is now looking for a better textbook to prepare for the next semester. They are considering University Physics by Young and Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli, but also open to other suggestions such as Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker.
annoyinggirl
I just finished taking first semester of calc-based general physics. My professor decided to use Serway's Physics for Engineers and Scientists, which at the end of the semester, even he agreed was a bad idea. The text itself was pretty good and filled with colorful pictures, but most of the exercises didn't match the text and were much too difficult for us to solve. I was generously given a C in the class due to the curve, and am now looking for a better textbook to brush up on what I didn't pick up or master what I failed to do with Serway's book before attempting the next semester of general physics.

From reading reviews, I'm debating between University Physics by Young and Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli (not to be confused with Serway's book of the same title).

Which of the two do you think is better? Or, if there is yet a better one, please tell me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker is pretty good.

1. What is the best calculus-based general physics textbook?

The answer to this question may vary depending on personal preferences and individual learning styles. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

2. What makes a calculus-based general physics textbook better than others?

A good calculus-based general physics textbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, relevant and engaging examples, and plenty of practice problems for students to apply their knowledge. It should also be well-organized and cover all the necessary topics in depth.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a calculus-based general physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice quizzes that can enhance the learning experience for students using a calculus-based general physics textbook. Some popular websites for physics resources include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus to understand a calculus-based general physics textbook?

While a basic understanding of calculus concepts is helpful, most calculus-based general physics textbooks will explain and review necessary calculus concepts as they are introduced. However, having a strong foundation in calculus can make it easier to understand and apply the physics principles.

5. How can I choose the right calculus-based general physics textbook for my needs?

In addition to considering the recommendations of professors and peers, it is important to look at the table of contents and sample chapters to see if the textbook covers the topics you need. You may also want to see if the textbook has additional resources, such as online practice problems or study guides. It can also be helpful to read reviews from other students to get an idea of their experiences with the textbook.