Boats A & B: Speed & Separation

In summary, the problem involves two boats leaving the shore at the same time with velocities of 20 ft/s and 15 ft/s, respectively. The relative velocity between the two boats is found to be 21.7 ft/s. To determine how long it will take for the boats to be 800 ft apart, the distance is divided by the relative velocity to get a time of 36.9 seconds.
VinnyCee
Two boats leave the shore at the same time and travel in the directions shown. If [itex]v_A\,=\,20\,\frac{ft}{s}[/itex] and [itex]v_B\,=\,15\,\frac{ft}{s}[/itex], determine the speed of boat A with respect to boat B. How long after leaving the shore will the boats be 800 ft apart?

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/8164/engr204problem121995cj.jpg

I figured the relative velocity:

[tex]\overrightarrow{v_A}\,=\,{\left(-20\,sin\,30\right)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,\left(20\,cos\,30\right)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{v_B}\,=\,{\left(15\,cos\,45\right)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,\left(15\,sin\,45\right)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{v_{A/B}}\,=\,\overrightarrow{v_B}\,-\,\overrightarrow{v_A}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{v_{A/B}}\,=\,{(20.6)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-6.71)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

[tex]v_{A/B}\,=\,\sqrt{20.6^2\,+\,(-6.71)^2}\,=\,21.7\,\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\theta\,=\,tan^{-1}\,\right(\frac{6.71}{20.6}\right)\,=\,18[/tex]

Here is where I can't figure out how to get the time t for when the boats are 800 ft apart. I try to complete the triangles above and solve for the length of one of the sides and get a wrong answer when I divide by the velocity to get the time since the velocity is constant. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have found the relative velocity, i.e. how fast they are moving apart. How long will it take them to become 800m apart?

Last edited:
Thanks!

It seems the simpler the solution, the tougher it is to find, for me anyways!

The right answer:

[tex]t\,=\,\frac{800\,ft}{21.7\frac{ft}{s}}\,=\,36.9\,s[/tex]

VinnyCee said:
Thanks!

It seems the simpler the solution, the tougher it is to find, for me anyways!

The right answer:

[tex]t\,=\,\frac{800\,ft}{21.7\frac{ft}{s}}\,=\,36.9\,s[/tex]

Looks good to me :smile:

The velocity of A relative to B is the apparent velocity A will have for an observer on B. It tells us how object A moves with respect to object B. That is as if object B were stationary how would object A move (with respect to it). So [tex]V_A - V_B[/tex] removes from the velocity of A the part similar to the velocity of B (their relative motion would be zero if they had similar velocities). What is left is the remaining motion of object A w.r.t. object B. So you end up with the velocity of object A with respect to object B, usually indicated as [tex]V_{AB}[/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of studying the speed and separation of boats A and B?

The purpose of studying the speed and separation of boats A and B is to better understand the dynamics and physics involved in interaction between two moving vessels. This can help improve safety and efficiency in maritime transportation, as well as aid in the design and development of boats and ships.

2. How is the speed of a boat measured?

The speed of a boat can be measured in a few different ways. One common method is using a GPS (Global Positioning System) device, which tracks the boat's position and calculates its speed based on changes in location. Other methods include using a pitot tube to measure water pressure and calculate speed, or using a tachometer to measure the rotation speed of the boat's propeller.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a boat?

The speed of a boat can be affected by a variety of factors, including the power and efficiency of the boat's engine, wind and water conditions, the weight and distribution of cargo, and the design and shape of the boat's hull. Other factors such as drag, friction, and waves can also impact a boat's speed.

4. How does the separation between two boats impact their speed?

The separation between two boats can have a significant impact on their speed. When boats are close together, they can experience increased drag and decreased efficiency due to the interference of their wakes. This can result in decreased speed and fuel efficiency. However, when boats are further apart, they can experience less interference and may be able to achieve higher speeds.

5. How can the speed and separation of boats be used in practical applications?

The knowledge and understanding of boat speed and separation can be applied in various practical ways. For example, it can help in the planning and navigation of maritime routes to ensure safe and efficient travel. It can also be used in the development and testing of boats and ships, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics and hydrodynamics. Additionally, this information can be used in competitive sailing and boat racing to gain a competitive edge.