Body moving on an ellipse; find velocity, acceleration

In summary: So I just have to differentiate my previous equation for dθ/dt to get a, and then express a as a function of x and y. I'll do that. Thanks again for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses determining the velocity and acceleration of a body moving on a trajectory with a constant speed. The equations \vec{a} = \vec{a}_{\tau} + \vec{a}_{n} = \frac{dv}{dx}\vec{\tau} + \frac{d\vec{\tau}}{dx}v and \vec{v}=v_{0}(\frac{y}{b} , \frac{x}{a}) , \vec{a}=\frac{v^{2
raul_l

Homework Statement

A body is moving on a trajectory [tex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} =1 [/tex] vith a constant speed [tex] v_{0} [/tex]. Find its velocity [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] and acceleration [tex] \vec{a} [/tex].

Homework Equations

As far as I know [tex] \vec{a} = \vec{a}_{\tau} + \vec{a}_{n} = \frac{dv}{dx}\vec{\tau} + \frac{d\vec{\tau}}{dx}v [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since v=const, [tex] \frac{dv}{dx}\vec{\tau} = 0 [/tex] and therefore [tex] \vec{a} = 0 + \frac{d\vec{\tau}}{dx}v = \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{\rho}\vec{n} [/tex] where [tex] \rho [/tex] is the radius. Since we are dealing with an ellipse, the radius is a function of x and y, but I don't know how to express [tex] \rho [/tex] as [tex] \rho(x,y) [/tex]

I think that I can express velocity and acceleration like this:
[tex] \vec{v}=v_{0}(\frac{y}{b} , \frac{x}{a}) [/tex]
[tex] \vec{a}=\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{\rho}(\frac{x}{a} , -\frac{y}{b}) [/tex]

If so far everything has been correct (although I doubt about it) the only problem is expressing the radius [tex] \rho(x,y) [/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT;

If a body moves in an elliptical path,sum of its distances from two fixed points always remains constant..

raul_l said:
A body is moving on a trajectory [tex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} =1 [/tex] vith a constant speed [tex] v_{0} [/tex]. Find its velocity [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] and acceleration [tex] \vec{a} [/tex].

Hi raul_l! :smile:

What you need is a sensible parameter.

If you were told x and y as a function of time, you'd know what to do, wouldn't you?

Well, any parameter will do … though, of course, some make it more complicated than others.

Hint: the equation looks a lot like cos²θ + sin²θ = 1. So … ? :smile:

x=a*cos(t)
y=b*sin(t)
I get [tex] \vec{v}=(a*cos(t), b*sin(t)) [/tex] and therefore [tex] \vec{a}=(a*sin(t), -b*cos(t)) [/tex]

It has to be expressed as [tex] \vec{v}(x,y) [/tex] and [tex] \vec{a}(x,y) [/tex] however, so I have to express t as t(x,y) somehow. I'm not sure how to go on from here. I can think of the following: dt=vds where ds^2=dx^2+dy^2. How do I proceed?

raul_l said:
x=a*cos(t)
y=b*sin(t)

That's the right idea … but you should only use t for time, or you'll get very confused ("so I have to express t as t(x,y) somehow"). That's why I suggested θ. :rolleyes:
I get [tex] \vec{v}=(a*cos(t), b*sin(t)) [/tex] and therefore [tex] \vec{a}=(a*sin(t), -b*cos(t)) [/tex]

Nooo … if (x,y) is X, then:

dX/dθ = (-a.sinθ,b.cosθ).

Now, you're told that speed is a constant, v°.

So you can get a differential equation for θ from:

v°² = (dX/dt)² = (dX/dθ)²(dθ/dt)² = … ? :smile:

(btw, an alternative useful parameter would have been the usual arc-length, s, since we know, in this case, ds/dt = vº.)

[tex] \vec{r}= (a*cos(\theta),b*sin(\theta) [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}= \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] v_{0}^{2} = (\frac{d \vec{r}}{dt})^2 = (\frac{d \vec{r}}{d \theta})^2 (\frac{d \theta}{dt})^2 = (-a*sin(\theta),b*cos(\theta)^2 (\frac{d \theta}{dt})^2 [/tex]

[tex] v_{0}^{2} dt^2 = (a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)) d \theta^2 [/tex]

[tex] v_{0}t = \int{ \sqrt{(a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta))} d \theta } [/tex]

Is this correct? I don't know how to take this integral.

Hi raul_l! :smile:

You don't need to take the integral. You're not asked to find r or θ in terms of t.

You're only asked for dr/dt and d²r/dt².

And you know what dθ/dt is.

So … ? :smile:

[tex] \frac{d \theta}{dt} = v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)} }[/tex] I still don't know what to do with this. :confused:

[tex] \vec{r}= (a*cos(\theta),b*sin(\theta) [/tex]

and therefore

[tex] \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = (a\frac{d cos(\theta)}{dt},b\frac{d sin(\theta)}{dt}) = (a\frac{d cos(\theta)}{d \theta}\frac{d \theta}{dt},b\frac{d sin(\theta)}{d \theta}\frac{d \theta}{dt}) = (-a*sin(\theta) v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)}},b*cos(\theta) v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)}}) [/tex]

By substituting θ with arccos(x/a) or arcsin(y/b) I get

[tex] \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = (-a\frac{y}{b} v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 \frac{y^2}{b^2} + b^2 \frac{x^2}{a^2}}},b\frac{x}{a} v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 \frac{y^2}{b^2} + b^2 \frac{x^2}{a^2}}}) [/tex]

In order to get a I need d²θ/dt². How do I do that?

raul_l said:
[tex] \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = (-a\frac{y}{b} v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 \frac{y^2}{b^2} + b^2 \frac{x^2}{a^2}}},b\frac{x}{a} v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 \frac{y^2}{b^2} + b^2 \frac{x^2}{a^2}}}) [/tex]

ooh, that's messy. :frown:

The square-root can be simplified … [tex] \frac{ab}{\sqrt{ a^4 y^2\,+\,b^4 x^2}}[/tex] ! :smile:
In order to get a I need d²θ/dt². How do I do that?

easy-peasy … d²θ/dt² = (d/dt)(dθ/dt) = [(d/dθ)(dθ/dt)]dθ/dt. :smile:

Ok, thanks a lot. That really helped.

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that looks like a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane for which the sum of the distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is a constant.

2. How does an object move on an ellipse?

An object moving on an ellipse follows a curved path, with varying speed and direction. This path is determined by the gravitational force and the initial velocity of the object.

3. How do you find the velocity of an object moving on an ellipse?

To find the velocity of an object moving on an ellipse, you can use the equation v = √(GM(2/r - 1/a)), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object (such as a planet), r is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the object, and a is the semi-major axis of the ellipse.

4. What is the acceleration of an object moving on an ellipse?

The acceleration of an object moving on an ellipse is constantly changing, as the object is constantly changing direction and speed. However, at any given point on the ellipse, the acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = GM/r², where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the object.

5. How does the velocity and acceleration change as an object moves on an ellipse?

The velocity of an object moving on an ellipse is constantly changing in both speed and direction, as the object moves along the curved path. The acceleration is also constantly changing, as it is dependent on the distance from the center of the ellipse to the object. As the object moves closer to the center, the acceleration increases, and as it moves further away, the acceleration decreases.