Book on tensor symmetry, geometries, surfaces

In summary, Chris Hillman suggests that while there may not be a single book that covers all aspects of tensors, knowledge of invariants can be gained from books on classical invariant theory and representation theory. For visual intuition, Burke's "Applied Differential Geometry" is recommended. The conversation ends with desA expressing gratitude for the helpful information.
desA
I'm looking for a good tensor reference book that provides insights into the following areas of tensors:

1. Symmetries & how to extract them.

2. Full tensor visualisation eg. how to visualise the stress tensor in its 9 component form without resorting to a split into 3 simultaneous equations.

3. Geometric interpretations of tensors.

I am researching into the Navier-stokes equations from a physical, fluids background & would like to further explore along tensor lines.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

desA

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, desA,

I don't know of a single book which will fill all your requirements, but it might help to know that you can probably pick up some knowledge of the invariants of tensors from good books on classical invariant theory and on representation theory. For visual intuition regarding tensors and exterior forms, you can try Burke, Applied Differential Geometry.

Hope this helps,

Chris Hillman

Thanks very much for your useful information, Chris. I've been working through a number of the classical tensor books & have some new insights. I'll look into Burke & see where that leads me. Thanks again.

desA

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between vectors and other geometric quantities in a multi-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as force, stress, and strain.

2. What is tensor symmetry?

Tensor symmetry refers to the properties of a tensor that determine its behavior under certain transformations. A symmetric tensor remains unchanged under certain operations, while an anti-symmetric tensor changes sign. This property is important in understanding the behavior and physical significance of tensors.

3. How is tensor geometry related to surfaces?

Tensor geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of geometric objects in multi-dimensional spaces. Surfaces, which are two-dimensional objects, can be described and analyzed using tensor geometry. This allows for a deeper understanding of the shape and characteristics of surfaces.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensor symmetry and geometries?

Tensor symmetry and geometries have various applications in science and engineering. They are used in fields such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism to model and analyze physical phenomena. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing to manipulate and enhance digital images.

5. Is knowledge of tensor symmetry and geometries necessary for understanding advanced physics?

Yes, a strong understanding of tensor symmetry and geometries is crucial for understanding advanced concepts in physics. Many fundamental theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, rely heavily on the use of tensors to describe and explain the behavior of physical systems.