Exploring the Fundamentals of Machine Design: Similar Books and Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for books similar to P.Orlov's "Fundamentals of machine design 1,2 and 3." The books should include pictures of design flaws and better solutions. The topic of improving reliability and reducing cost in engineering is also mentioned. The conversation also mentions difficulties in finding an ebook version of Volume 4 and asks for links to the volumes for others.
Marija
Hi. I have a problem and I will be so grateful if someone can help me with this.

I would like to know are there books that are similar to P.Orlov: Fundamentals of machine design 1,2 and 3. The book should include pictures of what is wrong and better solution of certain design.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Improving reliability while reducing the weight and the cost of manufacture are common themes in engineering. Orlov presented an excellent approach to design through step-wise refinement.
There are some similar books but they are about narrower subjects, so you will need to specify your special areas of interest.

I assume you have copies of Orlov from the MIR book site, if I remember correctly, via archive.com.
I have the four bound volumes of the English translation, and ebook copies of the first three, but could find no ebook of Volume_4.pdf.
Archive.com is down at the moment. Do you have any links to the volumes for others ?

What is machine design?

Machine design is the process of creating or designing a machine or mechanical device to perform a specific function or task. It involves a combination of engineering principles, material science, and mathematical calculations.

What are some common types of machines?

Common types of machines include engines, pumps, gears, levers, and pulleys. Other examples include robots, vehicles, and household appliances.

What are the key elements of machine design?

The key elements of machine design include the functional requirements, material selection, structural design, and manufacturing process. Other important factors include safety, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.

What are the benefits of learning about machine design?

Learning about machine design can provide a deep understanding of how machines work and how to design them for specific purposes. It can also lead to new and innovative ideas, improved problem-solving skills, and career opportunities in the field of engineering.

What are some recommended books about machine design?

Some recommended books about machine design include "Machine Design" by Robert Norton, "Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach" by Ansel C. Ugural and Saiyid M. Ahsan, and "Design of Machinery: An Introduction to the Synthesis and Analysis of Mechanisms and Machines" by Robert L. Norton.