Boost converter in Simulink problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a triangular waveform being shown for the inductor current in a simulated boost converter in Simulink. The triangular ripple is a normal result and is affected by factors such as inductor selection, switching frequency, and conduction modes. There are tradeoffs to consider when designing for optimal efficiency, power requirements, and noise tolerance.
OliskaP
Hi

I am trying to simulate a boost converter in Simulink, but I have a problem. When I measure the inductor current it shows as a triangular waveform instead of an exponential waveform like I would expect, does anyone know why? Does simulink do some simplification I am not aware of?

Parameters:
Inductor with parasitic resistance: 6.5e-3H, 0.01Ohm
Diode: 0.0001 Ohm on resistance and 0.8 forward voltage
Mosfet: 0.1 Ohm on resistance
Capacitor: 1000e-6 F
Load resistance: 5 Ohm

Simulation model:
boost converter.JPG

Inductor current:
inductor ripple current.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's what inductor current normally looks like in a converter. You get a triangular ripple with an average centered about output current. If you were to drastically slow the switching frequency to where the converter was no longer operating properly you would see the hyperbolic part of the curve, but the on/off time is normally short enough to stay in the mostly linear region. You'd see the same thing with a capacitor if you were to charge and discharge with a short interval.

Likes OliskaP and berkeman
Aha, thank you.

Welcome, that ripple is a major point of design when it comes to inductor selection. Higher inductance values and higher switching frequencies result in less inductor current ripple. There are tradeoffs as always so you have to balance ripple with optimal efficiency, power requirements, and noise tolerance. Then there's the threshold for CCM/DCM. (continuous and discontinuous conduction modes). Inductance value and switching frequency affect that as well. The main thing is that output is typically noisier in DCM so in some cases you want to stay in CCM over a wider range of power outputs.

Likes OliskaP

1. How do I create a Boost converter in Simulink?

To create a Boost converter in Simulink, you can use the "Power Electronics" library which contains blocks for different types of converters. Drag and drop the Boost converter block into your Simulink model and connect it to your other components accordingly.

2. How do I set the parameters for my Boost converter in Simulink?

The parameters for your Boost converter can be set by double-clicking on the block and opening its dialog box. Here, you can specify the values for parameters such as input voltage, output voltage, switching frequency, and duty cycle.

3. How do I troubleshoot my Boost converter in Simulink if it is not functioning properly?

If your Boost converter is not functioning properly, first check if all the connections are correct and if the input and output voltages are within the desired range. You can also use the simulation debugger in Simulink to identify any errors in your model and fix them accordingly.

4. Can I add a control system to my Boost converter in Simulink?

Yes, you can add a control system to your Boost converter in Simulink by using blocks from the "Control Systems" library. You can design your own control algorithm or use pre-built blocks such as PID controllers to regulate the output voltage of your converter.

5. How can I analyze the performance of my Boost converter in Simulink?

The best way to analyze the performance of your Boost converter in Simulink is by using simulation and plotting tools. Simulink provides various scopes and plots that allow you to visualize the behavior of your converter under different conditions. You can also use the Simulation Data Inspector to compare and analyze data from multiple simulations.