Calculating Force Transmitted by Rubber Mountings to Failed Bracket

In summary, the rubber mounting is used to dampen the movement of the bracket on the left side of the photo, and the failure appears to have occurred at the point where the bracket transitions from a curved to straight line. The force exerted through the rubber mounting may complicate the calculations, but I'm afraid I don't understand the math well enough to help.
reza_9216
I'm having difficulties in finding an answer to the issue show in the attached pic. Fracture surface on the failed bracket! I have the properties of the mild steel, the properties of the rubber mountings, and the number of the cycles per minute. What i can't figure out is the load or the force that is being transmitted from the rubber mountings to the bracket that has caused the bracket to fail. what force?

The rubber mounting is to damp the movement of the other bracket (on the left hand side of the rubber mounting, which is connected to the engine fan).This only happens when the vibrator inside the machine turns on and off.

when the engine starts off ,the fan and the bracket (2) vibrate and the vibration goes through the rubber mounting and then through the bracket 1 until it is damped.

What I'm trying to do is to calculate the bending moment and based on the number of cycles i have, find the alternative and ultimate tensile strength from the S-N curve in order to make sure that i have the right material (mild steel) for the bracket.

My question is how to calculate the force from the bracket 2 to rubber mounting and the net force transmitted to bracket 1.

Attachments

• failed bracket-1.JPG
    failed bracket-1.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 524
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just my $0.02 -- From what I can see in the photo, the failure occurred at the point where the bracket transitions from a curve to straight. If that transition is too abrupt, you have what we colloquially call a "stress riser" -- the forces are concentrated at a small point. I believe that may complicate the calculations a bit (I don't understand the math enough to help you, unfortunately.)

pantaz, thank you for your reply...but my only problem now is how to calculate the force that is exerted through the rubber mounting, just behind the bracket number 1...

1. What is the purpose of calculating the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket?

The purpose of calculating the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket is to determine the amount of force that the rubber mountings are exerting on the failed bracket. This information can help in identifying the cause of failure and in designing more effective mounting systems in the future.

2. How is the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket calculated?

The force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket is calculated using the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant of the rubber mountings, and x is the displacement of the mountings.

3. What factors can affect the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket?

The force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the rubber mountings, the design of the mounting system, the magnitude and direction of the applied load, and the condition of the failed bracket.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket?

Accurately calculating the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket is important for several reasons. It can help in determining the root cause of failure, in evaluating the performance of the mounting system, and in making improvements to prevent future failures. It can also provide valuable information for safety and regulatory purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating the force transmitted by rubber mountings to a failed bracket. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the assumptions made about the properties of the rubber mountings and the behavior of the mounting system. Also, the calculation may not take into account other factors that could affect the force transmitted, such as temperature, vibration, or aging of the materials.