Breaking down a complicated resistance circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a Wheatstone bridge circuit. The original poster has attempted to solve it using KCL equations, but is unsure if their rearrangement is correct. The helper advises using KCL equations and mentions a possible trick, but ultimately the OP realizes that the circuit is a Wheatstone bridge and the conversation ends. The helper emphasizes that they cannot directly provide solutions, but can offer hints and point out mistakes.
The Blind Watchmaker

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-9_0-32-10.png

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-3-9_0-37-59.png

I tried to break it down to:

upload_2018-3-9_0-46-0.png

But apparently it is incorrect, can someone tell me the correct configuration? And explain too! Thanks :)
(Please do not give ambiguous "hints").

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_0-32-10.png
    upload_2018-3-9_0-32-10.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 689
  • upload_2018-3-9_0-37-59.png
    upload_2018-3-9_0-37-59.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 674
  • upload_2018-3-9_0-46-0.png
    upload_2018-3-9_0-46-0.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 677
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh nevermind just realized this is is a wheatstone bridge, silly me

The Blind Watchmaker said:
(Please do not give ambiguous "hints").
LOL. How about an unambiguous hint? Like using KCL equations to solve it. There may be a trick that you can use, but if you don't see the trick pretty quickly, just doing the KCL equations and solving should get you the answer. And for a circuit this simple, The KCL equations are fairly easy.

The Blind Watchmaker said:
Oh nevermind just realized this is is a wheatstone bridge, silly me

Oh, never mind then. :smile:

Helpers are not allowed to directly provide solutions to homework questions. They can only offer hints, suggestions, or point out mistakes or correctly done parts in your work.

What makes you say that your rearrangement is wrong? The only problem I can see would be if you incorrectly locate the 20 Ω resistor on the figure (you didn't label any of the the resistors, so I can't be 100% sure that you've got that right).

Edit: Just saw the OP's latest post, correctly identifying the circuit configuration. So never mind :smile:

1. What is a complicated resistance circuit?

A complicated resistance circuit is a circuit that contains multiple resistors and other components, such as capacitors or inductors, that can affect the flow of current. These circuits are often used in electronic devices and can be challenging to understand and analyze.

2. Why is it important to break down a complicated resistance circuit?

Breaking down a complicated resistance circuit is important because it allows us to understand how the various components in the circuit affect the flow of current and voltage. This understanding is necessary for troubleshooting and designing more efficient circuits.

3. How do you break down a complicated resistance circuit?

To break down a complicated resistance circuit, you can use various techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and Thevenin's theorem. These methods help simplify the circuit and make it easier to analyze by reducing it to smaller, more manageable parts.

4. What are some common challenges when breaking down a complicated resistance circuit?

Some common challenges when breaking down a complicated resistance circuit include identifying the various components in the circuit, understanding their individual properties, and determining the appropriate equations to use in the analysis. It is also essential to consider the connections between the components and their effects on the overall circuit.

5. How can breaking down a complicated resistance circuit benefit us?

Breaking down a complicated resistance circuit can benefit us in several ways. It helps us understand the behavior of the circuit, identify potential issues or faults, and design more efficient and reliable circuits. It also allows us to troubleshoot and fix problems more effectively, saving time and resources.