Experimenting with RC Combinations: Finding C & R Values

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving finding the values of capacitance and resistance in a series combination using a unknown RC combination, a known reference resistor, a variable frequency signal generator, and a digital multimeter. The equation involving impedance is mentioned, and it is noted that the output impedance of the generator should be considered in calculations. The conversation ends with a mention of a test and a request for input.
Clipse
This is an experiment Ill have to write up later, unfortunately I was out for 2 weeks of lectures due to illness. This is the experiment;

Find the values of capacitance C and resistance R in a series combination, given he following apparatus;

1. the unknown RC combination (both in the same enclosed box),
2. a known, reference resistor, Rref,
3. a variable frequency signal generator (0-1000Hz),
4. a digital multimeter

An equation involving impedance that I can think of off the top of my head is;

I = (Emax . Sin(wt + &))/ |Z|

I really am completely stumped guys... I just need to know how to do the procedure and then the calculations should be ok... Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clipse said:
This is an experiment Ill have to write up later, unfortunately I was out for 2 weeks of lectures due to illness. This is the experiment;

Find the values of capacitance C and resistance R in a series combination, given he following apparatus;

1. the unknown RC combination (both in the same enclosed box),
2. a known, reference resistor, Rref,
3. a variable frequency signal generator (0-1000Hz),
4. a digital multimeter

An equation involving impedance that I can think of off the top of my head is;

I = (Emax . Sin(wt + &))/ |Z|

I really am completely stumped guys... I just need to know how to do the procedure and then the calculations should be ok... Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

This seems to be a homework problem, so it is in the wrong forum. Anyway, how do R, C and frequency affect phase?
Don't forget to consider the output impedance of the generator in your calculations.

"This is an experiment Ill have to write up later, unfortunately I was out for 2 weeks of lectures due to illness." *wink,wink* My test's on Monday...how bout you? So...tired.

Pee-Buddy said:
"This is an experiment Ill have to write up later, unfortunately I was out for 2 weeks of lectures due to illness." *wink,wink* My test's on Monday...how bout you? So...tired.

You must show some work before we can help you.

1. How do I determine the appropriate C & R values for my RC combination experiment?

The best way to determine the appropriate C & R values for your RC combination experiment is to first understand the purpose of your experiment and what you are trying to measure. Once you have a clear objective, you can use the formula RC = τ (time constant) to calculate the values. You can also consult with a mentor or reference books for guidance.

2. What are the factors that affect the C & R values in an RC combination experiment?

The two main factors that affect the C & R values in an RC combination experiment are the capacitance (C) and the resistance (R) of the components used. Other factors that may affect the values include the material and size of the components, the temperature, and the environment in which the experiment is conducted.

3. How do I set up an RC combination experiment?

To set up an RC combination experiment, you will need a power supply, a resistor, a capacitor, and a voltmeter. Connect the components in series, with the resistor in between the power supply and the capacitor. Then, connect the voltmeter in parallel to the capacitor. Make sure to use the appropriate wires and connections for accurate readings.

4. What are the common uses of RC combinations in experiments?

RC combinations are commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current and voltage. They can also be used in timing circuits, filtering circuits, and signal processing. In experiments, RC combinations are often used to study the behavior of capacitors and resistors, as well as to measure time constants and response times in different systems.

5. How can I analyze the results of an RC combination experiment?

To analyze the results of an RC combination experiment, you can plot the voltage readings from the voltmeter over time. This will give you a graph of the capacitor charging and discharging, which can provide insights into the behavior of the circuit. You can also calculate the time constant (τ) and compare it to the expected value to determine the accuracy of your experiment.