Calc Angle b/w Radius Vector Point & +x Axis: What Does That Mean?

In summary: Can you explain how to make a triangle out of your picture?In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the angle between the radius vector of a point and the positive x-axis in the xy plane. The question asks for the angle to be measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis and within the limits of -180 to +180 degrees. The problem involves using trigonometric formulae such as sin, cos, and tan to find the angle. Drawing a triangle can help visualize the problem and make it easier to solve.
tngo1206
Calc. Angle between radius vector point and positive x axis? What does that mean?

Homework Statement

The cartesian coordinates of a point in the xy
plane are x = −8.96 m, y = −1.75 m.

Calculate the angle  between the radius-
vector of the point and the positive x axis
(measured counterclockwise from the positive
x axis, within the limits of −180◦ to +180◦).
Answer in units of ◦.

Homework Equations

arctan of (y/x) = angle/degree

The Attempt at a Solution

I did arctan of y/x = 11.051 incorrect...
I did the arctan of y/x + 180 and got 191.05 incorrect...
I did that same method - 180 = 168 ish still inccorrect...
then I did arctan of x/y + 180= 258 ish and still wrong..

any ideas what this question is asking for? or what the correct answer is??

Physics news on Phys.org
191.05 looks right but not within the limits of what they want. Try to express that another way.

I have this exact same problem with different numbers! (UT homework maybe? XD) I'm pretty stuck.

Read chriscolose's answer. Is 191.05 between -180 and +180?

Here is my problem:

The cartesian coordinates of a point in the xy plane are x = −8.83 m, y = −5.47 m. The distance between the point and the origin is 10.38700149. Calculate the angle  between the radius-vector of the point and the positive x-axis (measured counterclockwise from the positive x axis, within the limits of −180◦ to +180◦). Answer in units of ◦.

I have no idea how he got his answer at all.

A good start is to draw a picture. What does that tell you?

Okay, I drew a picture and I have a graph with a circle. I have the radius as 10.38700149 and I drew an arc (representing the angle) from the the positive x-axis counterclockwise to the radius in the third quadrant.

What trigonometric formulae do you think need to be used to solve this problem?

Our job here is to help you do your own homework; we do not do your homework for you.

I understand that. XD That's why I asked. I wasn't expecting anyone to do anything for me. :3

Anyway, hmm, what formula? I can't say that I know. I mean, I'm thinking it has something to do with sin, but I'm not entirely sure.

Soh cah toa

sin=opposite/hyp.
cos=adjacent/hyp
tan=opposite/adjacent

Then maybe your drawing should have a triangle that you can make sense of rather than an arc that you cannot make sense of.

1. What is a radius vector?

A radius vector is a line segment that connects the origin of a coordinate system to a point on the graph. It is commonly used in polar coordinates to represent the distance and direction of a point from the origin.

2. What is the +x axis?

The +x axis is the horizontal axis of a Cartesian coordinate system. It is also known as the x-axis and typically represents the independent variable in a graph.

3. What does it mean to calculate the angle between a radius vector and the +x axis?

Calculating the angle between a radius vector and the +x axis means finding the angle formed by the radius vector and the positive x-axis. This angle is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis and can be used to determine the direction of the radius vector.

4. How is the angle between a radius vector and the +x axis calculated?

The angle between a radius vector and the +x axis can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific formula used will depend on the coordinate system being used.

5. What is the significance of calculating the angle between a radius vector and the +x axis?

The angle between a radius vector and the +x axis is significant because it can provide information about the direction and orientation of a point on a graph. It is also used in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating forces and velocities in physics.