1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the z component of the torque relative to position

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5681/32832.jpg [Broken]

All seven forces have a magnitude |F| = 32 N. w = 10 m, h = 16 m, and d = 15 m. Calculate the z component of the torque relative to position A.

2. Relevant equations
    T = r*F

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure how to start this.
    F1 = F*h*w = 32*16*10?
    F2 = F*h = 32*16?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Torque

T = r X F

So you want to figure the force acting at a perpendicular to the point at interest.

In this case your r X F1 will equal |F1|*h, where h is the distance at which it is acting ⊥ to a line through A.

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3

i tried that, its wrong. it says the z component. would that make a difference?

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The resultant of r X F is a z component by the right hand rule for taking a cross product.

Of course you still need to sum up all the other torques from the other forces.

6. Mar 31, 2009 #5

it asks just for the torque for each force that is applied, i.e. F1, F2, F3, ect. After that, it asks for the net torque. for F1 i tried F*h and it was wrong. Would it be F*h*w, since the tail starts at w?

7. Mar 31, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sorry I thought you were supposed to be determining the sum.

The |T| is F1*h. But because it is the cross product of y X x, that yields a clockwise torque that is -z

So for F1 you have the z component is -|F1*h|z

Counterclockwise torques are positive. Clockwise are negative.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook