1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating an integral (QM / probability)

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I've an integral that poped up in QM, it should be different from 0 (else the particle's position is known with 100% certainty while it should not with the wave function I was given). However I get 0 and I don't see where my mistake(s) is/are.
    ##<(x-a)^2>=\int _{-\infty } ^\infty (x-a)^2N^2 \exp \{ - \frac{(x-a)^2}{2 \sigma ^2} \}dx##.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I make the change of variables ##\alpha = (x-a)^2## so that ##d\alpha = 2(x-a)dx##. So as x goes from - infinity to + infinity, alpha goes from + infinity to + infinity and therefore the integral becomes ##\int _{\infty} ^\infty \frac{\sqrt \alpha }{2}N^2 \exp \{ - \frac{\alpha }{2 \sigma ^2} \}d\alpha =0## because of the limits of integration (they are the same).
    I've done the exact same change of variables with another integral that yielded 0 this way and it was correct. However here I must not get 0, but I do.
    Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##x = a \pm \sqrt{\alpha}##, so the integrations for ##x < a## and ##x > a## need to be kept separate. So, no, you do not get 0. However, I don't know why you want to make that change of variable. It would be much, much easier to let ##y = (x-a) / \sigma##.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see. So if I understand well, even though alpha goes from +infinity to +infinity, it "passes by" 0 (in which case x=a) so I should take this into account in the limits of integration.
    Ok I'll follow your tip for the change of variables.

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

You're a boss Ray Vickson! I reached a result that makes sense (variance is worth ##\sigma ^2##).
    I chose the change of variables ##\alpha = \frac{x-a}{\sqrt 2 \sigma}##. In order to compute ##\int _{-\infty}^\infty \alpha ^2 e^{-\alpha ^2 }d\alpha## I used a trick: I thought the integral as ##\int _{-\infty}^\infty \alpha ^2 e^{-\alpha ^2 \gamma}d\alpha## as if it was dependent on gamma (despite it being worth 1). Then I rewrote the integral as ##-\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial }{\partial \gamma} (e^{-\alpha ^2 \gamma}) d\alpha##.
    After a few algebra I had to use the fact that ##\int _{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\alpha ^2 \gamma} d\alpha=\sqrt \frac{\pi}{\gamma}## (that I had demonstrated in a previous exercise).
    All in all I solved the original integral, it's worth ##\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma ^3N^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted