Calculating an integral (QM / probability)

In summary, Ray Vickson found a solution to an integral that yielded a result that made sense. He changed the variables to account for alpha going from +infinity to +infinity, and found that the integral was worth 2pi Sigma^3.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I've an integral that poped up in QM, it should be different from 0 (else the particle's position is known with 100% certainty while it should not with the wave function I was given). However I get 0 and I don't see where my mistake(s) is/are.
##<(x-a)^2>=\int _{-\infty } ^\infty (x-a)^2N^2 \exp \{ - \frac{(x-a)^2}{2 \sigma ^2} \}dx##.

2. The attempt at a solution
I make the change of variables ##\alpha = (x-a)^2## so that ##d\alpha = 2(x-a)dx##. So as x goes from - infinity to + infinity, alpha goes from + infinity to + infinity and therefore the integral becomes ##\int _{\infty} ^\infty \frac{\sqrt \alpha }{2}N^2 \exp \{ - \frac{\alpha }{2 \sigma ^2} \}d\alpha =0## because of the limits of integration (they are the same).
I've done the exact same change of variables with another integral that yielded 0 this way and it was correct. However here I must not get 0, but I do.
Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I've an integral that poped up in QM, it should be different from 0 (else the particle's position is known with 100% certainty while it should not with the wave function I was given). However I get 0 and I don't see where my mistake(s) is/are.
##<(x-a)^2>=\int _{-\infty } ^\infty (x-a)^2N^2 \exp \{ - \frac{(x-a)^2}{2 \sigma ^2} \}dx##.

2. The attempt at a solution
I make the change of variables ##\alpha = (x-a)^2## so that ##d\alpha = 2(x-a)dx##. So as x goes from - infinity to + infinity, alpha goes from + infinity to + infinity and therefore the integral becomes ##\int _{\infty} ^\infty \frac{\sqrt \alpha }{2}N^2 \exp \{ - \frac{\alpha }{2 \sigma ^2} \}d\alpha =0## because of the limits of integration (they are the same).
I've done the exact same change of variables with another integral that yielded 0 this way and it was correct. However here I must not get 0, but I do.
Where did I go wrong?

##x = a \pm \sqrt{\alpha}##, so the integrations for ##x < a## and ##x > a## need to be kept separate. So, no, you do not get 0. However, I don't know why you want to make that change of variable. It would be much, much easier to let ##y = (x-a) / \sigma##.

Ray Vickson said:
##x = a \pm \sqrt{\alpha}##, so the integrations for ##x < a## and ##x > a## need to be kept separate. So, no, you do not get 0. However, I don't know why you want to make that change of variable. It would be much, much easier to let ##y = (x-a) / \sigma##.

I see. So if I understand well, even though alpha goes from +infinity to +infinity, it "passes by" 0 (in which case x=a) so I should take this into account in the limits of integration.
Ok I'll follow your tip for the change of variables.

You're a boss Ray Vickson! I reached a result that makes sense (variance is worth ##\sigma ^2##).
I chose the change of variables ##\alpha = \frac{x-a}{\sqrt 2 \sigma}##. In order to compute ##\int _{-\infty}^\infty \alpha ^2 e^{-\alpha ^2 }d\alpha## I used a trick: I thought the integral as ##\int _{-\infty}^\infty \alpha ^2 e^{-\alpha ^2 \gamma}d\alpha## as if it was dependent on gamma (despite it being worth 1). Then I rewrote the integral as ##-\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial }{\partial \gamma} (e^{-\alpha ^2 \gamma}) d\alpha##.
After a few algebra I had to use the fact that ##\int _{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\alpha ^2 \gamma} d\alpha=\sqrt \frac{\pi}{\gamma}## (that I had demonstrated in a previous exercise).
All in all I solved the original integral, it's worth ##\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma ^3N^2##.

Related to Calculating an integral (QM / probability)

1. What is an integral and why is it important in QM/probability?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. In QM/probability, it is used to calculate the probability of a continuous variable falling within a certain range. It is an important tool in these fields because it allows for the calculation of probabilities for continuous distributions, which cannot be done with simple addition.

2. How do I calculate an integral?

To calculate an integral, you will need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The specific technique used will depend on the form of the integrand. It is important to follow the proper steps and use the correct integration technique to ensure an accurate result.

3. Can integrals be solved analytically or do I need to use numerical methods?

Integrals can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytic solutions involve finding a closed-form expression for the integral, while numerical methods use approximations to calculate the integral. In QM/probability, analytic solutions are often preferred as they provide more precise results, but numerical methods can be useful for more complex integrals.

4. Is there a difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

Yes, there is a difference between a definite and indefinite integral. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a general expression with a constant of integration. In QM/probability, definite integrals are used to calculate probabilities, while indefinite integrals are used to find probability density functions.

5. How are integrals used in QM/probability?

Integrals are used in QM/probability to calculate probabilities for continuous distributions, such as the probability of a particle's position or momentum falling within a certain range. They are also used to find probability density functions, which describe the probability of a continuous variable taking on a certain value. Integrals are a fundamental tool in these fields and play a crucial role in understanding and predicting quantum and probabilistic phenomena.